HybridZ

welding protection for plasma cutter

660Z

I noticed the cycle shows on the Discovery channel didn`t wear welding goggles/helmet when using a plasma cutter. I always thought you needed one. I have found it frustrated not beeing able to see the line I want to cut,however I don`t want welders flash. Do you need the tinting protection?

Mark

i've just used a good pair of sunglasses and haven't had any trouble. not too dark yet not bright enough to hurt my eyes. probably the best and safest thing though would be some oxy/acetaline torch glass (they make a light shade glass for when you use a cutting torch). i bet that'd be the safest bet if you want to protect your eyes. i definitely wouldn't go without anything as it can get pretty bright. at the very least, wear some sunglasses.

I suggest a full face shield that is tinted the oxy weld green (I think its shade 5) and make sure you have good lighting. I've had sparks blow back at me when cutting a hole in plate using a plasma cutter. For that reason I want something covering my entire face.

The folks on American Chopper and other shows are fools when it comes to welding safety. They will pay a price for it later in their lives.

Guest DiZeased_240

Yes, you should wear protection. The oxy/acetylene torch glasses work well, that's what I use with a plasma. Plus, they are inexpensive and you can pick them up at lowe's, home depot... etc.

I question the amount of brain cells some of those guys have on those motorcycle/car shows when they are fabricating. I see a lot of them doing tack welds, and just closing their eyes when pulling the trigger. You can still damage your eyes even with your lids closed because the flash is so intense. It is very painful to get flash burned, as I can attest.

Protect your vision!!!