HybridZ

Going Dyno with 18psi any tuning advice?

Thumper

Well I just found out that a local speed shop is doing a dyno day. It will be a dynapack dyno with a wideband sensor. I am mostly tuning to get my air/fuel ratio above 10:1 and below 13:1. I can adjust ignition timing, base fuel pressure, air flap spring tension, and intial setting of the needle in air flow meter. I have never dyno tuned b4 so I am uncertain on what will do what to the air/fuel ratio gauge. The fuel pressure should make the entire air/fuel ratio line move up or down. The timing will have no effect except to be able to run a leaner ratio. The air flow meter needle will also move the line up or down. The air flap spring tensioner should make the line bend or curve more towards rich or lean at high rpms with less of a effect on lower rpms. If all my assumptions are correct then I should be able to acheive my goals. My question is if my assumptions are correct what should I adjust first, and what other ways should I tune while on the dyno. Thanks

Ted Schmidt

I guess it would depend on what turbo you're running. if you're running stock, then you shouldn't have too much of an issue with tuning. I ran upwards of 20 on my stocker, and never really had any issues. Mostly stock asside from exhaust and extra injectors.

Well I just found out that a local speed shop is doing a dyno day. It will be a dynapack dyno with a wideband sensor. I am mostly tuning to get my air/fuel ratio above 10:1 and below 13:1. I can adjust ignition timing' date=' base fuel pressure, air flap spring tension, and intial setting of the needle in air flow meter. I have never dyno tuned b4 so I am uncertain on what will do what to the air/fuel ratio gauge. The fuel pressure should make the entire air/fuel ratio line move up or down. The timing will have no effect except to be able to run a leaner ratio. The air flow meter needle will also move the line up or down. The air flap spring tensioner should make the line bend or curve more towards rich or lean at high rpms with less of a effect on lower rpms. If all my assumptions are correct then I should be able to acheive my goals. My question is if my assumptions are correct what should I adjust first, and what other ways should I tune while on the dyno. Thanks

Ted Schmidt[/quote']

Well usually on dyno days a lot of cars show up, so that leaves little time for tweaking...Usually drive up, do a couple quick pulls and drive off.

Adjusting your AFM spring/needle will do nothing for dyno results...When you put your pedal to the floor the ECU does not read from the AFM, it just assumes that it is wide open, and it dumps fuel into the engine.

Personally I would not adjust the needle on the AFM one bit. I have 35lb injectors on my ZXT with the stock fuel system, and the only thing I had to do was tighten the AFM spring to keep it from running overly rich at idle and while cruising.

Seeing as how you are runing the starion intercooler, which is a piece of trash (I know first hand, I have one in my Z) and your car is virtually the same setup as mine, except I run a 3" downpipe and thats it. You will probably see good low end torque, but as the RPMs get up there, your horsepower will go down due to poor flow of the intercooler.

Personally since you are probably only getting ~2 runs on the dyno, I would just watch your A/F ratio and adjust your FPR by a few lbs to see what difference it makes.