HybridZ

Harbor Freight Stud Welder Comments

Jolane

So Harbor Freight has their cheaper (1% duty cycle) stud welder on sale, so I picked one up to use in pulling some of the little dents on my 240. I had seen them in Eastwood starting at $400, so for $90 I thought I would try the HF version for my garage use. Heck, if I did not like it, I could always return it.

The kit came with three different sized copper studs, 100EA. I believe they are 2, 3, and 4mm. I have been using the 2mm. It also included the appropriate nozzles, and a 2# slide hammer. The slide hammer has a 'special' end on it to put around the studs, not a general type of slide hammer.

With anticipation I sanded a small dent down the bare stell, and welded on three studs, guessing where to put them. The welder worked GREAT! Much better than expected (have never used one before). I mean I was half expecting to have to weld on nails with my new TIG, and just return the stud welder, but no way. The slide hammer also works great, although I had read that some people did not like the hammer. I think it works great once you figure out how to use it (now too difficult).

I would highly recommend this piece of equipment to anyone needing to pull small and large dents from areas where you can't get a hammer and dolly too. Heck, even with access, this makes short work of getting the metal at least close. Much better than any screw type slide hammer I have ever used before (where you drill a hole, and screw the slide hammer point into the metal).

Joshua

I normally try to buy American when I can (I actually feel bad about buying at Harbor Freight sometimes), but for the money and the use I will give it, this was a perfect case to buy an inexpensive special tool.

Yeah, I understand that mtcookson. I guess what I should of said is american made tools, because you won't catch me buying a Harley any time soon either. My Yamaha and Kawasaki do just fine for me!

I do like quality tools though, and for those I look to America still when I can afford them or they will be used a lot.

Thanks,

Joshua

I happen to like Harbor Freight. Granted, some of HF's tools break, its a lot easier to just go get another one than to have a major payment on tools every month. That being said I gotta admit that a really good wrench just feels better in your hand.

Now about harleys, Don't put down what you ain't owned. I've had my current one for nearly 20 years and it hasn't given me any trouble at all. and ;its been th;rough a ton of crap, including a season with Nitros and another with a judson supercharger. With a little luck next year (if the ZX is ever finished) its gonna see twin turbos off some kind of rice rocket.

I am sorry to offend you Chaparral2F about the Harley's. Although I have not personally owned one, my dad has two, a custom and an 03 Road King. I have ridden both, and hate the feel of both. What I hated more though than the feel was giving my dad a ride home on the back of my bike so we could get the truck and load up his, TWICE! He maintains it, etc...but when the primary belt breaks and locks up in the primary cover, you aren't going anywhere. He had two primo belts break within a year, ~2K miles! His tanks cracked and leaked fuel all over. Everything seems to vibrate off his custom. Even with Loctite! His new Road King is nice to look at, but for the price, he should not have had some of the problems he has had...like leaking oil, popping and poor running EFI. Nothing some service at the local dealership couldn't solve.

As for my FZ1, hasn't missed a beat, is comfortable to take 2-up day trips with, etc. That is my choice... It is smooth, quick, fast, handles well, light, reliable, great gas mileage, ... perfect for me in city or on highway.

As for tools, sometimes it is hard to swallow the cost of quality tools, but when a HF tool snaps (if I used them that is), it would take ~1 1/2 hours to exchange it (drive across town, run in, drive home). For the gas and time, I figure why not buy quality tools... I also give myself a budget each month for tools, and I am not a mechanic by trade. Some people like beer, I like quality tools and unbusted knuckles!

Joshua

i've talked to a person who owned a harley (may have been a buell) and they said there were just driving along and the whole damn engine fell out.... i sure as hell hope they were over exagerating a bit because that's some damn poor quality if not. i've never really like harleys that much because i've just not heard many good things about them. i'll take a honda sports bike any day... they are very comfortable and quite fast.

In reality, I don't hate Harley's, but have seen my share of problems with them. I have known a good number of people who have owned them as well, and everyone always seems to be working on them. I know that there are exceptions, but to be honest, when I know that a bike has been in the back of a truck 5+ times within a year just to get home...that is a big problem! The bike was great, beautiful work, engine ran okay (other than it marked its spot, uhhh leaked oil, with only a few thousand miles on it), but it was still a poor handling, slow, wimpy braking bike. I like precision, stuff that stops and turns when I want it to. Maybe I was outriding the Harley, and therefore it was not for me.

As for the little Harley's (Sportsters), they supposedly have a bunch of problems, from mirrors breaking off and hitting riders to warping valve covers to...And they still cost more than a very good Jap bike. I am in it for the riding experience, not the nastalgia. I also have a problem with the mentality of a lot of Harley owners/riders...if you don't ride a Harley...blah blah!

I don't think I will be buying a Chinese bike though any time soon, regardless of what it looks like.

Joshua

Sorry to have started the old bike argument again, but I've had my fat old a$$ on a rigid frame harley for 45 years, and only quit riding a lot when Harleys changed from a lifestyle to a fashion statement. If you want to know what I hate, its the Rich Urban Bikers who have a levi jacket with the cut off sleeves neatly stitched and not so much as a wrinkle in their shiny new leather jackets. They're the ones who strut around bad mouthing outlaws while pretending to be them. (I was a 1%er before most of them were born) I swear to whoever, the next one of these rubs that call me "Bro"...

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to rant. I don't care what anybody ride as long as they aren't trying to be something they aint.

Hey, Joshua if your ever in this part of the country let me know and I'll buy you a beer. *

* depending on your age. there are some young guys on here.

Joe

Joe,

I was glad to read your post...I too do not want to debate bikes. I whole heartidly agree about posers on any bike, Harley or Not. I live in a neighborhood that has a few of them... I also hate the squid type...yeah, you know, the type who are weaving in and out on their brand new sportbike cutting people off wearing nothing but a wife beater, shorts and sneakers... I raced motocross for a while, and I NEVER rode without a helmet and proper gear, everything on (unless I was loading the bike). I never ride my street bike without a helmet, leather jacket, leather gloves... I know others (including my dad) who wear whatever is comfortable...tee-shirt, no gloves, etc... I choose to ride right and ride safe.

Thanks for the beer offer, but I will say that I don't drink, and have never even tasted beer (yes I am plenty old enough to be legal). I wouldn't mind a coke though, okay Bro! haha

Post a pick of your bike sometime. Like I said, there are some nice looking Harley's out there! Just not for me to own...

Joshua