HybridZ

Dropping a V8 in a convertible

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Please read and ask yourself what would you do?

I bought a 77 Datsun280z convertible. Call it love at first site. Problem is that it was not running and had not been driven in 5 years. The purchase included a 78 280z the previous owner had bought for the engine. My mechanic got the car running, it ran great for a week and even picked it up to over 110 mph without a hitch. 2 weeks later i start having problems with keeping the car on. I have since taken the car to numerous mechanics, none of which are nissan experts more of american engine types. The small town type of mechanic. At the same time I came across a 98 chevy 350 that came off a silverado P/U with only 15K miles on it,(no intake or carb).

Questions a new z lover needs help on:

Do i have to find another transmission for the z, i have the 4 speed off the 77 or the 5 speed from the 78. what modifications are needed? where do i get info on these mods?

What would you do?

Where would you turn to for information?

what are the first things to come up?

In your expert opinions, if you found yourself

Should I go for the chevy 350?

What are the drawback or benefits of dropping a 350?

Since this is the turning point, What I want is a strong, reliable engine. Any info on books, sites or emails would be forever greatful.

www.jagsthatrun.com that's where you'll get a book on swapping a V8. You may also find copies of it up for sale on E-Bay.

Read the book, read this site, ask questions when you've learned what's involved in the swap. Yes, you'll need a new transmission. I believe there's even a forum here dedicated to discussin driveline stuff. http://24.4.88.29/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Drivetrain&number=7&DaysPrune=100&LastLogin=

Lot's of info here but it'll take some effort on your part to absorob it all. This isn't the most difficult swap in the world since there's little fabrication involved and a book detailing what you need to do. Oh yeah, there's this great WEB site here with lot's of people all doing much the same thing that can help when you get stuck...

Folks, we need a FAQ badly! I'll help write it if help is needed.

Oh yeah - if you've found a good 350 cheap, jump on it. If nothing it'll be as quick as the previous motor. Also, what exatly was going wrong with the motor you've got now? Cutting off why? If it's a wiring issue there's no guarantee that it won't still exist with the new motor so be careful. Would really be rotten to swap in a new motor only to find the same problems!

IF the convertible was not stiffened with a roll cage or something along the lines of what John Washington (VR Engineering, Velo Rosa fame), I'd not put a V8 in it. The stock Z MIGHT be o.k. with that 350, but without a top and no reinforcement in the cabin, you'd be asking for trouble.

Hunt around in the Chassis forum, use the search engine, or just read all the posts that sound like they apply.

Welcome!

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages