HybridZ

turbo swap ignition prob.

240ZinTN

I am stuck. I probably tried to do too many things at once and now I am paying for it. My '73 240Z now has an 83 turbo motor, 84 computer and turbo and MAS. I used the 83 wire harness and I have everything wired up like Ashfin's sticky but I am getting no spark and my ECU does not turn on(not even a red light, let alone a green one). My fuel pump turns on and I am getting 12V to the coil. I am starting to think my ECU might be bad. Any suggestions? Which wire actually turns on the ECU? Now that I rethink about it .... Should my fuel pump be on if my ECU is not working? It is supposed to provide the ground for the fuel pump relay(FPR).

I am stuck. I probably tried to do too many things at once and now I am paying for it. My '73 240Z now has an 83 turbo motor, 84 computer and turbo and MAS. I used the 83 wire harness and I have everything wired up like Ashfin's sticky but I am getting no spark and my ECU does not turn on(not even a red light, let alone a green one). My fuel pump turns on and I am getting 12V to the coil. I am starting to think my ECU might be bad. Any suggestions? Which wire actually turns on the ECU? Now that I rethink about it .... Should my fuel pump be on if my ECU is not working? It is supposed to provide the ground for the fuel pump relay(FPR).

Assuming you wired it correctly the fuel pump would not run at all if the ECU was toast.

Hi 240ZinTN, did you insert a new pin into slot 34 of ECU connector then connect it to the + coil terminal or to a ignition postive line. Make sure the pin and connection are good. If so then try connecting it directly to a + wire or + terminal on the battery (just to test) and see if the ecu powers up.

Pin:

114 constant 12 V

27 & 35 ignition 12V

34 signal 12v , not part of 280zx harness

9 start signal 12v (powered when key in start position only)

Check these, if you still think it's the ecu I have a working 84 turbo ecu (and MAF) that you can have for cheap. Just PM me if you want any of them.

I checked all the power connections and they all seem to be ok. I even plugged in an 85 NA ECU and got the same results. It looks like I have something wired wrong or connected backwards on the EFI relay. My fuel pump does turn on when I turn the ignition even with the ECU not powering up which makes me think I may have misread or mixed up the FPR connection as well. I am so ready to get this car on the road again it kills me to go thru all these connections over again. I am having Z withdrawl. Thanks for the suggestions Afshin. I may still PM you about your extra 84 ECU if things don't work out.