HybridZ

L28ET swap pics & some questions

260ZRED

mini-4.JPG

Do you turbo guys think this is an acceptable place to mount the computer?

The dash should fit with no problems, and Im not running any a/c or heater stuff in that area.

Also, I decided to put a soft pad under the ecu, just to kinda isolate it from shock? and shakeing from the car driveing. Has anyone actually experienced a problem like that or am I just too damn paranoid? =)

mini-pulley2.JPG

I got like 100 other things to do but for some reason I start polishing my water pump pulley, lol. I plan to eventually polish anything and everything in there. But for now, just this!!

mini-z2.JPG

mini-z1.JPG

Crappy pics but I had to share my joy!!!!!!! =)

One last thing, can anyone post a pic or at least tell me how they routed the oil cooler lines and the actual unit?? My Z sits about 3 inches off the ground at the lowest point and the airdam is about 1/2 inch off the ground and Im afraid if I mount the oil cooler too low I might break something and loose oil. I have it mounted sideways (think about how the factory mounted it and turn it 90 degrees, so no air flows through it when you move) I need to somehow correct this, hopefully with a cheap/creative way =)

thanks,

Igor

why not just mount the ecu in the stock location for your 280? I mounted mine in my 240 in the place that the 280 ecu would have been, remember you need the ecu to be grounded, i woudn't worry about shock the things seem pretty decetn for being 22 years old, and if you put it there are you gonna reinstall the heat/AC?, and the polished pulley looks awesome, that just the plain steel polished up? I have the aluminum one which weighs about the same but it's shiney

Guest bastaad525

agreed, the common place to put it seems to be on the drivers side left kick panel. Your pic is EXACTLY where the ECU is in my '91 Sentra... kind of a stealthier place to put it I guess... I gotta admit it would be nice to have it hidden away like that. Well you do know you may need to cut a new hole in the firewall, as the wiring harness may not reach the new location. I agree dont worry about the shock.

I think Evildky is right, you should mount it on the kick panel (same as a 280z) or in the case of a 240 I think you could also get away with the passenger side kick panel as your fuse panel is not there. You could mount it on the tranny tunnel as you have it but I don't like the idea simply because it would be hard to access. I also think that the ECU is alot tougher than people think, I had mine loosely sitting on the kick panel (I was pulling it out alot for re-tuning) I hammered on the throttle and the ecu fell out right on the floor, never hurt it at all. I've heard the one about grounding the ecu before it may have truth in it but I have my doubts about that too.

As for your oil cooler, how about mounting it in front of the rad? That is how mine is, I cut the original cooler mount a little bit and used it to bolt it to the bottom of the lower rad support. I drilled two holes in the square channel straight through from the top, this allowed the mount to be bolted on a right angle making the cooler stand straight up (just like the rad) Of course you would need longer hoses, you can take the original bolts on the banjo fittings and match them up at a hydraulics shop and get a adapter to convert them to a 1/2" flare fitting. Then you can have a custom hose made up no problem. I ran mine through the small hole under the round hole that people normally use for intercooler tubing.

It's a 260Z (was red once, hence the sn) but it never had a stock ECU. The plug is connected as it sits now and it reaches just fine, but not much further. Im glad I don't have to worry about the thing shakeing. It's one less thing to worry about!

The ECU is grounded by means of the harness, right? If I remember correctly, it actually has more than one ground, so there is nothing to be gained by physicly grounding it. I read the factory manual and can't recall anything about grounding the ECU, but I may have missed it.

I'll drain the oil and play a bit with the cooler set up... after I pass, err I mean make an A!!!!, on my CalcIII (vector calc) test. I never thought I could HATE the letters i j k, but I do, with a burning passion! Just 3 letters, and yet so many torturous, confusing things you can do with them....