HybridZ

holset turbo chargers, need help!

john kosmatka

Alright guys for the past year or so Ive been contemplating the use of a holset hx35 or hy35. As they will bolt to the stock l28et manifold. I was planning on running a hy35, welding the integral wastegate shut and running a tial 38mm unit. Now I have a friend who is running this exact same setup on his 2.3l volvo. However he has some port port work, and a custom grind cam yet on the 2.3 he is spooling 21psi by 3.4-3.5k. My question, would a l28et with stock cam, and head spool around the same range, and would this give me a very usable power band. I think it would be comparable to using a T61 turbo. So anybody out there using one chime in and let me know how your power band was.

Now the reason for this post is I would like to get some info on this as these turbos can be had cheap, and with a little bit of work could make some amazing power on the l series motor.

Thanks, John

Thats the positive reniforcement I was looking for, I was just seeing as though some believe it will spool too late. But the volvo 4cylinder spools it soon enough so Im sure the l28et wouldnt have a prob. Most likely will be using a hy35 with the integral gate welded shut with a tial 38mm. What I like about them, they just begin to get efficient at 14psi, at 18-25 they really begin to shine! So Im might as well be a test muel and see how well it works, Ill let you guys know...

John

I've been looking into those for a while now. I'm planning on putting one on my Maxima and a hybrid Holset on the Z.

What kind of power are you looking to get? The HY35 should spool pretty good but depending on how much power you're looking to get can choke at the top end. A 12 cm HX35 would probably still spool just as well yet be able to flow a lot more.

Also... from what I can tell the 2002 or so on up Dodge's have the newest design which includes a cast titanium compressor wheel!! That should help spooling even more.

As an idea of how well these things work, there's a page floating around somewhere where a guy basically built a junk yard car. He used a Ford 2,3 liter, 8 valve, 4 cylinder engine and still made one of the 12 cm or 14 cm HX35's spool by 3800 rpm!

Sweet just got an email back from MDC motorsports. He says spool up time should be around 3k- 3200 rpm. He says his 7mgte was spooling 25psi by around 2950, so with the little flow problem the l28et has probably around 3100-3200 rpm. Looks like Im finiall finding some info on these elusive beasts.

John