HybridZ

Any California, Bay Area V8 Zers out there???

Guest larkja

I am considering a V8 swap into my '73 240z but would like to speak with somebody and get a hands on before making the big leap. If there are any V8ers near San Jose, CA, or if any of you know of any that would be interested in helping me out, please e-mail me at larkja@excite.com.

Thanks much

Jim

Guest Anonymous

hi well i haven't been in touch with him for a couple of days but i have a friend in pasadina at CalTech. i believe that is sorta close to San Jose. but we built a v8z jtr style and i think it turned out very nicely. I am actually getting ready to start mine, but If that is in your range or if you have any interest tell me and i will talk to him about it..

zach

Guest MistaFosta

Hey, soon Ill be one of the masses. I just aquired my 350, and Im ordering the JTR kit during christmas. hoping to be done january. If you need any advice, I may be able to help, Im ASE certified in a bunch o stuff, and Im a mechanic.

--------------

V-tec This!

Fosta

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by larkja:

I am considering a Jim

Don't waste your time with that kit and save some money too with out hacking your car up.

You can make some simple mount brackets using 71 Chevy elcamino motormount. You can use the small distributor (74 and older)will fit with out cutting the hood latch. If using 350 Trans slot the Z Trans mount and bolt it to the Trans it should fit nicely. I did a 73 with a 400 SB it did mid 14's with 140,000 engine all stock even a stock air cleaner. I had $950 in the car with new struts,muffler,280 front springs and a detail job on the car. If you want drawings of the brackets let me know. Hooker has headers that will fit perfect.

------------------

John Lindsay in Boise ID.with a 10 sec. turbo buick V6 in a 71 240Z

Hey Jim,

I live about 90 min. north of you. I'm one step behind and one step ahead of you. I have definitely decided to build a V8Z, but don't have a car yet. Finally found a good donor but the seller got very sick this weekend. Said call on monday. I bought the JTR manual, you should too. Even if you decide to use someone else's kit or fab your own, this book is worth several times its cost.

Guest Anonymous

Hey, I'm in Sunnyvale and work in San Jose. Got a V8Z I bought from the previous owner. Still needs alot of work. Unfortunately, life's been hectic since I joined a startup and I haven't done much else except eat, sleep and work. No time for cars frown.gif

Heck, I have a hard enough time coming back to visit this UBB - which is why I'm posting a reply some 9 days after this thread was started.

Scott

Scott, how "rough" is the car. Is the engine strong? If so, what are the chances of meeting sometime to take a look at the whole setup and maybe a ride.

Thanks

Guest Locutus

Think long and hard before you give up on the JTR mount, there are plenty here that can agree that a engine placed using the JTR mounts makes for a much better handling car. It also helps with fitting issues, headers, carbs, accesories, etc. Just my .02.

Mike

Surprised Mike Kelly han't chimed in with his experiences with a "scarab" placed V8 versus a JTR placed V8.

Scarab or Hooker placement is fine for drag racing, but the JTR setback is known for making a good handling Z.

Having the engine lower, 4 inches or more set back engine placement is not without some handling advantages. Not to mention the clearance gained for fans, air cleaners, etc.

And block hugger headers are a proven solution.

Honestly, drilling 9 spot welds out (with the proper pot weld drill) can hardly be called "hacking" can it? (I'm talking about removing the stock hood latch bracket from the firewall here.) Other than that, the only other intrusion to the stock sheet metal is the mounting the tail of the transmission, since it will be too far aft of the stock mounting position to be used. JTR has you drill 8 3/8" holes in the floor and add some backup plates. Pretty simple stuff.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited December 13, 2000).]