HybridZ

clutch/pressure plate question - help plz!

260ZRED

Ok, the fastest the car can go is 2-3 mph. That is at like 5 grand rpm, with turbo whining. When I put the Z in gear with engine off and crank the engine the car doesnt move a bit. When I let off the clutch with engine running, in, gear, the car does not stall.

I have put in a L28ET motor with a stock L26flywheel, stock L26 pressure plate, stock L26 clutch disk, and a 5 speed transmition from a 1979 280zx 2 seater.

My friend says I need a pressure plate from a 2 seater ZX, not Z.

Would this solve my problem??? The tranny is out, clutch/pressure plate are out and I need to put the right stuff back in.

Thanks for your help guys.

Hmm.. since the tranny is out, are you SURE it is shifting the gears? (turn the input shaft, shift into a gear, and see that the driveshaft yoke spins) Assuming the tranny is fine internaly, are the presure plate, flywheel, and friction disk in good shape? I'm retty sure that setup should work, as it is a MENT to work together (all L26 stuff) Oh and make sure evrything in there is clean. If the tranny seal, or the rear main engine seal is leaking, it's posible oil got inside and ruined the clutch.

Maybe you could try this.. (since evrything is out of the car) Bolt the disk and presure plate to the flywheel (well, bolt presure plate, as it holds/sandwiches the disk) and see if you can turn/spin the friction disk. If so, there's something wrong. IE; one of the three componants are worn out. Oh.. not to insult you or anything, but is there a throw-out bearing mounted in there properly? I just thought, if it was in there wrong, or the fork was messed up somehow, it could be contantly pushing on the clutch, and not allowing it to 'clamp' to engage..

No guys... all this stuff is good.

The tranny is from a 1979 280ZX tho, works fine. Spacer is off, tranny shifted just fine, it was my friend's and I've seen the car drive and raced it before... My z "drives" just very very very slow. There's no oil on anything, it's all clean in there. The fork with throwout bearing moves with no problem.

Are the pressure plates different for 70-78 and 79-83???????? Thats the key question. My friend has been doing Zs for like 10 years or more and says this is the problem: you can't take a L26 clutch/flywheel/pressure plate and expect it to work with a ZX transmition.

Just trying to verify this.

Please let me know!!

thanks =)

Guest BrandenZ

Pressure plate must match release bearing. Discs and flywheels are interchangable so long as it's not 2+2. But... the collar lengths differ between 240-260-280z cars. You either need to use a 280zx pressure plate, or you need to swap out the 280zx release bearing with a 260z release bearing.

• 2 weeks later...

well, me and a friend changed out the t.bearing and the Z scoots around now.

The clutch slips alot tho - there's not enough clamping force to hold the stock L28et's 'agression' ;) But still, the car was a BLAST to drive for the first time.

I'm gonna put a 2+2 flywheel/clutch/pressure plate, and yes, bearing (lol).

Thanks for the help.....