HybridZ

New Toy (303 British)

Z-TARD

f5044dc1.jpg

Just picked up my new (new for me, actually manufactured in 1943) Enfield No4 Mk1 rifle at Big 5 Sporting Goods a few days ago. It's the top one in the picture. Planned mods for this one are rather extensive: Drill and tap receiver for reproduction WWII sniper scope mount; Glass bed reciever to new stock; rebarrel for 308/7.62x51 Nato, which includes considerable work to the bolt face, extractor, and magazine. If you look closely, the bolt handle on the top rifle is slightly larger than the lower one. I replaced the knob at the end with a 1" steel ball bearing I found in a metal dumpster at work. The entire rifle will eventually be bead blasted and re-blued, which I've already done to the magazine and bolt handle. I'm thinking about going back next payday to get a Moisin Nagant 91/30 (Enemy at the Gates rifle) as well, those are only going for $79.00. Of course, I could also spend that money on the Z...... Multiple hobbies suck. :(

Mike

i have just sporterized a #5 mark 1 jungle carbine. it was my dads. he has had it before i was around and i have never seen it fired. i'm 45 now. i'll be sighting it in this spring. the barrel is perfect on it, which is not easy to find a good one these days. i put on a modified and refinished ati monte carlo stock,ati bolt on scope mount and a 6-24 x50 range find scope.SWEEEEET!!

Jungle carbines are cool, one of the rarer variants of the Enfield. They kick like a mule because of the short barrel though. For a real treat, try shooting it at night and watch the flame that shoots out of the end. The best ammo for flame throwing is the old military surplus stuff, it seems to burn a little slower. My Dad had a 303 converted to a pistol (!!!!!) with a 12" barrel. At night it would shoot a four to six foot long column of fire and burning cordite out of the muzzle. Needless to say, it's accuracy was somewhat lacking, and it was quite a beast to fire. Post some pics of yours if you get a chance, it's always nice to see a customized Enfield.

Mike

mauser.jpg

big 5 kicks *** for picking up surplus rifles in california.

i refinished the m44 on the bottom. mauser still needs work. I've also shot both of these a little while ago:

PICT0054.jpg

#4 mk1 and the jungle carbine. man, the carbine packs a heck of a punch to your shoulder!

Sweet. I didn't kmow others on the forum were into old military rifles too. They are the reason I haven't been working on the car for a while. I recently picked up a Spanish Mauser and I am sporterizing a few others. I bought a 1938 Mosin Nagant just yesterday for $99. It gives me chills to think that the last time it may have been fired was in Stalingrad! I also recently got an M1 carbine that I'll take to the range today.

Just finished putting the new stock on it, looks probably as good or better than when it was issued over 60 years ago:

index.cfm?p=gi&i=19989&r=5333&t=reg

Close up of the new bolt handle, this is actually a 1" ball bearing. It's quite a bit larger than the original, and makes the action even faster to cycle than it was before:

index.cfm?p=gi&i=19990&r=6929&t=reg

I'm gonna shoot it as is for a while, eventually get the scope mount put on it, and then I'll start the conversion to 308. Which looks better out of these two rifles?

L42A1:

L42A1-SNIPER.jpg

No.4 Mk1 (T):

no4T.jpg

Mike