HybridZ

VR & sidepipes?

Guest indy

I recently bought a 280z to make into a VR. As I was going through some of my options, I started wondering how it would look with a set of sidepipes instead of the traditional exhaust. Anyone seen one or have some pics?

A vendor on eBay in parts has a long running auction sale on 3 inch chrome side pipes under "side pipes" The 52 inch one fits for length and there is a "leg blister" shield on the pipes. To look and fit without going bump to bump on a lowered car, the 3 inch side pipes need to be raised up to under the door opening level and not horizontal under the rocker panel which will require a notch in the front fender similar as to the Tomahawk's opening for it's sidepipes. The VR and 250 GTO are one sexy ladies and the side pipes do add a little hair to the chest. Incidentally my 250 GTO front end actually slips over the modified original in place Datsun front fenders. I will modify the front fenders on the GTO's donar car (that is if I can locate it since , it is now missing) There was so much stuff missing, I didn't realize it was gone. After discovery of this loss I just made it back to the house for heart medication. There is a great feature added to this site and some good threads below. I consider the yellow Datsun has the side pipes too low for comfort

Do you have a link to John's site? I'd like to see how he routed the pipes. I'm guessing that since there are not a lot of these out there, it's not the most popular method of exhaust. Although it does seem year if not model appropriate. Fortunately I'm a long ways away from having to make a final decision on this.

Do you have a link to John's site? ...

"John" would be John Washington the owner of Reaction Research and the maker of the Velo Rossa kit. That picure if from the VR gallery on his site (www.reactionresearch.com)

The yellow VR is a customer's car, not John's (as far as I know). You might check the VR builder/owner links from his site to see if you can find anymore pictures.

The only other pictures (B&W) of side pipes I know of were in the VR Install manual available from John.

I agree with here comes trouble and Wagz. Side pipes make it look less classic Italian and more muscle car, which I like. It all depends on your taste. I am not going for authentic, but decided against side pipes because of clearance issues. It can definitely be done, but you will have to do some work as here comes trouble said. Plus, I love the exhaust out the back! Here is a pic of mine with ovals out the back.

8329HarlingenXmas04_041-med.jpg

By the way, John also maintains http://www.ztrix.com which is the same site but you don't have to go through the extra page.

You may want to check out azguy's new post in the exhaust forum. He is having ground clearance issues and his car (280ZX) does not seem to be lowered at all. Remember, for the VR kit the car must be lowered a couple of inches and this may really complicate things!

Obviously it can be done but the pipes will have to be raised up on the rocker panels so watch out for leg burns!

Good luck-keep us posted.

• 4 weeks later...

No, not yet. I may, but I kind of like the look now. What I will probably do is line it with some door edge protector stuff from Autozone and then lay fiberglass over that and wrap it around to the inside. That will give the cutouts a nice 3D molded appearance. Because the cutouts are on compound curves, they are an unusual shape and a trim ring may look funny. However, I am open to suggestions. For now I am working on other things (wiring, trunk hinges and latch etc.) As soon everthing is rewired with the new harness, I will get back to the body work an then paint. Yippie! Its coming but it will probably be another year before paint and completion. Time and money. I'm just glad I get to drive it around now!