HybridZ

Dmb front air dam question (Vic Brit vs. MSA)

Jolane

I want to order a non-vented fiberglass front airdam for my 72. MSA is out of stock for a little bit (which is okay). They are also cheaper than Vic Brit (~$20-30). Can anyone comment on the quality of the two pieces? Are they the same manufacturer/mold? If not the same, can you compare fitup and alignment?

I saw where someone else had a DET front airdam that was pointing up in the air, and little brackets had to be made. I want something that will fit correctly if possible.

Thank you,

Joshua

Davy,

Victoria British P/N 96-304 $179.95 (Opps, this is for a 280!)

Victoria British P/N 96-300 $179.95 (This appears to have two square indentations in the front, but the picture is so hard to tell if it really does.)

MSA P/N 50-1401 $139.95

From the pictures, it looks like the Vic Brit one is a little more vertical where the wheel well cutout is. It is just so hard to tell if they are the same or not.

The one I really want, if anyone has the calendar around, is shown on an orange 72 in the 1999 Z Car Calendar, November/December. From the angle of that picture, I like how that air dam fits.

Thanks,

Joshua

Edit: I have always had good service with MSA, although I am selective as to what I buy from them due to drastic price differences...

I saw where someone else had a DET front airdam that was pointing up in the air, and little brackets had to be made.

That was probably me. Although my airdam was made for a 280Z (I wanted to eliminate the stock turnsignals). On my '73, it just didn't fit right for some reason. I haven't met another person with the same problem. Since I used the wrong part number for my car, I can't comment on the fit, but the quality is maybe... a 7 out of 10. There is quite a bit of work to be done before I paint it.

!M!

Thanks Matt,

I went back and found your post about your mounting issues. It seemed that a few people had encountered the same problems you had. I wonder though how the bumper indentation looks after the fix? At least with the stock 240 turn signals, any misalignment may not be as appearant.

Where did you get yours? Do you think that it would be better to just add/repair the fiberglass to match? I was thinking that if the holes were too low, fiberglass could be added to lengthen the mounting flange and fill the holes, giving a place to start over with. Maybe I am making more of it.

The link that was posted in that thread (http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=12005&sort=1&cat=all&page=2) shows a car very similar, if not the same car, as in the calendar I was referring to. That is the exact air dam I would like to use. Anyone know for sure exactly which one that is? It just follows the body lines so well, and looks clean.

Thanks,

Joshua

Where did you get yours?

From MSA.

Do you think that it would be better to just add/repair the fiberglass to match?

Not sure. It was quite a bit off and there is a lot of downforce on those front bolts, that's why I went the route I did.

The link that was posted in that thread (http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=12005&sort=1&cat=all&page=2) shows a car very similar, if not the same car, as in the calendar I was referring to. That is the exact air dam I would like to use. Anyone know for sure exactly which one that is? It just follows the body lines so well, and looks clean.

Ah yes, the clean Z that made it to the pages of Sport Compact Car along with that beautiful 510. Just go to MSA http://motorsportauto.com/ and look through the catalog.

!M

Matt,

I would greatly appreciate you posting a finished picture after the fix. I did see the other pics in the other thread. If you have any others though, that would be great.

Thanks,

Joshua

What do you mean by:

"Ah yes, the clean Z that made it to the pages of Sport Compact Car along with that beautiful 510. Just go to MSA http://motorsportauto.com/ and look through the catalog."?

Matt' date='

I would greatly appreciate you posting a finished picture after the fix. I did see the other pics in the other thread. If you have any others though, that would be great.[/quote']

Okay, I'll take some more pictures either tonight or tommorow and post them here. Any specific angle you would like?

What do you mean by:

"Ah yes' date=' the clean Z that made it to the pages of Sport Compact Car along with that beautiful 510. Just go to MSA http://motorsportauto.com/ and look through the catalog."?[/quote']

The clean orange Z graced the pages of Sport Compact Car magazine a while back. And also, you were asking about where you could get that front spoiler and I said, just go to MSA... here I went and found the airdam for you Click Here :wink:

!M!

Matt,

I wasn't sure what you meant about that Red Z, I thought maybe there were more pics at MSA. That airdam that you linked is the same part number I listed above. That is the airdam I would like to use, either that one or the equivalent from Vic Brit. If the one pictured is indeed the MSA one, I will not even consider the Vic Brit one.

Thnks for offering to take pictures. I guess the angles I am interested in would be about bumper level front quarter. I would like to see where the airdam attaches to the headlight bucket, and how the mold lines match the bumper (if you have a bumper on your car). I would also like to see one further back, also a front quarter shot, hopefully showing how the lowest most"rid" projects from the vertical "wall". Does this make sense?

Thanks Again,

Joshua

hopefully showing how the lowest most"rid" projects from the vertical "wall". Does this make sense?

Not really :lol: But I'll just take a bunch of pictures and hopefully you will get the shot you want. Also, I am not running a front bumper, but you'll still be able to see how it attaches.

!M!

Matt,

I mispelled that. It was supposed to say rib. I am trying to describe the lower "bump" that runs around the bottom of the air dam. Some seem to stick out further than others.

Thanks Again, I really appreciate your help!

Joshua