HybridZ

transmission selection

Guest RyanSugh

Guest RyanSugh

I currently have a 73 240z with a 302 and 3 speed automatic transmission that is not in that great of shape and i am wondering if anybody has any suggestions on good transmission choice for a daily driver/ occasional drag strip racer

Well it just so happens your in luck because for the past week ive been spending day and night on this problem for myself, since im doing the conversion kit for all us ford guys I went out and bought a cheap 5.0 and now im faced with tranny options. 1st off The order on manual`s goes as follows T-5:Possibly the easiest for you since it was made for the 5.0, but the weakest tranny overall. Anywhere from 210 lbs/ft tq to 310 lbs/ft. It has a nice .68 over drive though. If you decide to go t-5 make sure to get a 90-91 5.0 tag#1352-199 or 92-93 5.0 tag 1352-208. You know what im going to turn this into the tranny help thread, so people can ask me tranny questions so they dont feel as lost as I did. Any ways those years I just discussed had a 300 lbs/ft tq rating with case hardned parts, which isnt bad at all. t-5`s range=250-600$ used or rebuilt 995$ new

Next is the T-45 a slighty stronger but still unliked in the 4.6 community some call it the unwanted step-child of the tremec family. Its not a super bad tranny but there are no good traights. For instance alot of people agree the t-5 is sub par but the price is almost hard to turn down for a guy like me who isnt going to have a god awful amount of power just yet :) The t-45 cost about the same as the rest of the tremec`s. And they are hard to convert to 5.0. t-45`s about $600-1000 used 1400 new.

Next the T-3550 probably the most underated in the group. Can handle 350 lbs/ft tq but is way more sturdy than the t-5. My friend hade 379 rwhp in his heavy mustang and had 300 hard launches before it gave, if it were a 300 rwhp light z it may have lasted indefinately. This is a great tranny for the price, but people tend to say you need more strengh than you do. These are usually the weekend warriors who add a 300 shot of nitrous to there bone stock engine. The latest trend in the mustang community is to stick a tko-600 [600 lbs/ft] in a mustang whos added up HP [i mean adding a k&n that claims 4-11 hp, cold air intake which claims 5-15,exhaust claims up to 30, alum driveshaft claims another 30] equals 340 hp out of a 260 hp stock engine. The engine might just know be pushing the stock rating to its rear wheels, so the need for a 600 lbs tranny is rediculous unless racing on slicks launching and 5,000. My point is Aquire what you need for your driving style and car.

550-1000 used 1500 new

TKO-3550,3650 etc:These trannys have improved synchros and hardned gears. Most tremecs the numbers stand for the torque rating. I.E tko-500 =500 lbs/ft tq $TKO-500=1700-2000 new TKO-600=2000-2500 t-3650=1000-1500 used 1695-1795 new

Top Loader-4 spd: If you want a simple bullet proof tranny get a toploader I have one right now i`ll sell you for 500 They are the most tough factory made tranny ever. Ford designed them and tested them by taking the heavy 427 fairlanes with supercharging them to 1200 lbs/ft Tq and dumping the clutch 30 times in a row!!! The only disadvantage is no overdrive. But it is very hard to break them. One test lasted 348 launches and 1200lbs before it finnally broke that was after 15 driveshafts and 2 9 inch rear ends.

T-56-6-speed can hold about 440 lbs/ft stock great tranny all the way around 5,6 gear are both O.D. I love the feel of shifting all these trannys internal rail is great but there is something about the wratchet feeling of a toploader or muncie tranny.

If you want to stick with a T5 get a GForce T5 they're good to 600hp/500ft either directly from GForce or thru one of their vendors. http://www.gforcetransmissions.com or http://www.5speeds.com If you have a T5 already you can get the gear assembly kit and install yourself.

Note: GForce now makes an T56 upgraded to 900hp/800ft!

Mark