HybridZ

Z32 clutch in a Z31?

white86turboz

VG30DE(TT) and VG30E(T) flywheels aren't interchangeable. the DE(TT) has an 8 bolt flywheel while the E(T) has a 6 bolt.

also, to use a larger flywheel and clutch you'd have to space the starter a tiny bit (this is what they do on the VG30DE and VG30DETT tranny. the TT tranny has more material where the starter bolts to the tranny due to the larger flywheel diameter).

the 87-89 300ZX Turbo has a 250 mm clutch like the TT however, oddly enough, they tend to not hold as much power as the smaller 240 mm clutch according to the specs of most aftermarket clutch manufacturers. i'd just get a fidanza flywheel and a nice aftermarket clutch (spec, act, exedy, etc.)

If you are going to be putting a clutch-killing amount of torque through that T5, you might as well change it to the late 87 and newer Z31 gearbox (FS5R30A) now, because the T5 isn't going to last. You could jack the late Z31 250mm flywheel and a Z32TT clutch in there at the same time. Nearly bulletproof to over 400+ Ft/Lbs of torque. Depends on what you want to put through the drivetrain. 240mm turbo clutch will take anything that the T5 will.

Doug

Doug

i'd just stick with the 240 mm clutch and flywheel setup with a SPEC stage 3 clutch. those are good for 515 ft. lb. torque. the TTZ stage 3 clutch is good to 558 which is only a 43 ft. lb. improvement. you'll probably put out a tiny bit more power with the 240 mm setup than the 250 mm since you'd be spinning more weight further out from the center with the larger one.

Not to hijack but, Doug, are you saying you can bolt the FS5R30A up to the L28? Are you also saying it's stronger than the FS5R90A? I need to make a decision on a tranny soon and i know the FS5R90A isn't strong enough since i've blown through them. Just hard to part with $1600 for the G-Force when i really dont need a 600ft/lb+ torque capacity tranny. Thanks for any info you can share.

Ok a guy wants to sell me a 90' Z32 turbo clutch with 3k miles on it for $50, he's a good friend of mine so hes not gonna screw me. Money is tight right now, and I need the Z to run (I'd buy a nice $400-600 clutch if I could, but pocket is dry). If I buy it I'll buy a Finaza flywheel to help it out, will it work?

Is it gonna be a project? Doesnt the early Z32 clutch have the 240mm diameter?

I hope I get some approval. Please let me know. I'm a new Z guy, so please teach me.

84-96 300ZX non turbo - 240 mm clutch (however i can't guarantee that they're the same even though they're all 240 mm)

84-86 Turbo - 240 mm

87-89 Turbo - 250 mm

90-96 Twin Turbo - 250 mm

The same goes for the 87-96 250 mm clutch... I'm not sure if they're interchangeable or not as I've not studied up on them all that much.

Z32 - 90 and up are either twinturbo or non-turbo, no single turbo in Z32land. If your buddies' clutch is from a non-turbo - you're golden, it will be 240mm and bolt to your Z31 flywheel. If it is from a twinturbo, it will be 250mm, and you will need to go JY shopping for a late Z31(87-89 VG30ET engine) turbo flywheel (250mm) to use that clutch. While you are there, get the tranny, shifter and driveshaft from that car also (if you are planning big HP sooner or later). Finances permitting, of course.

The Z32 flywheels (VG30DE / VG30DETT) will not fit your engine, just FYI.

Hope this clears the waters a bit. Fire away with any other Q's

Doug

Ok, I buy the $50 Z32 clutch right.. but my friend doesn't know if its a TT or non-turbo, and I dont know either.. you know why? Theres no 6 or 8 puck/bolt pattern to tell which car its from!!! It has no puck/bolt pattern!!! I'm confused.. anyone know what it might fit? It says Nissan on the clutch, but all I know is I need a 6 puck/bolt pattern and not a 8. ANYONE..?

Measure the outside diameter of the disc or pressure plate. It should be very close to 240mm or 250mm. The outside of the pressure plate should have 9 bolt holes to bolt it to the flywheel and 3 small dowel holes, if it is a Z32 clutch.

The bolt patterns which were mentioned earlier where the number of bolts that the flywheel bolts to the crankshaft with. VG30ET (Your engine)=6 bolts, VG30DE or VG30DETT(Z32)= 8 bolts. Therefore, the flywheels are not interchangable between the Z31 and Z32. The clutches are, depending on the diameter.

Doug