HybridZ

280ZX as a beater

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok I want a hybrid Z car but it is just not in the budget until next (we just bought a house). In the meantime I need a reliable cheap (really cheap) car to commute back and forth to work - about 60kms a day. I have heard the standard Datsun inline six is pretty sturdy and therefore I am considering a 280ZX. Any problem areas with these cars (besides rust)? Thanks.

I bought an '83ZX three weeks ago to use as my commuter while my '77Z is in the shop. It has 196,000 miles on it and runs like Swiss watch. It has the digital dash and everything works except the cruise control and the clock. The T-tops don't leak but there is a small gap between the drivers side window and the window seal at the back which is a bit annoying at speed. It also has a crack in the windshield but it is such that it won't get any worse and is not in line of vision. It has absolutely no rust. Car has a freshly rebuilt engine with new distributor, injectors, alternator, water pump, hoses, spark plug wires, etc. It also has new paint job, tires, and freshly rebuilt brakes including a new vacuum booster unit. I paid $2,600 for it and figure I can sell it for that in 4-5 months when mine gets out of the shop.

It rides and handles a lot differently than the '77Z but I've gotten used to it and enjoy it as a daily driver. Did I mention that it has a great radio?

Also - did I mention that I commuted with my '77Z which had the same engine as the 280ZX daily for 10 years and added over 160,000 km to the already 160,000km on the car. The commute was an average 50 km/day. It was more reliable than either of the new vehicles my wife had during that time.

During that time fuel economy ranged from 10.7-13.1L/100km, depending on type of driving and weather.

Guest Anonymous

ZX cars are real cheap in Oregon and are an excellant buy if you carefully shop. Watch out for the digital dash.And beaware of electrical problems.