HybridZ

JTR Mount Question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm planning on making the JTR mounts myself, I have some 3/8" steel (and T-6 aluminum as well). Is there room enough to use the 3/8 instead of the 5/16 that JTR calls for in the setback plates? Or would I need to change the spacers by the 1/16" per side to fit? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lone

I'm not sure that 1/6" on either side would be real bad, but the JTR mount design slid right into place for me.

If I were to do this over again, I'd buy at least the spacers from JTR. The ones they make are much smaller than the drawing since they remove alot of the extra material that's not needed. The design they have in the book is quick and easy to make though, with a band saw and a drill press. I'd probably just spring for the set back plates also, if I didn't have 5/16" steel. Not that expensive in the scheme of things.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Pete, considering I'd have to buy alot of the pieces ala carte so to speak (speedo cable, pinion flange etc..) your probably right, I'll probably just get the kit and save the trouble. They do have those extruded spacer pieces. Probably look alot more sanitary.

Thanks again,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Having the same question when I did my conversion, I'll give you my solution. 3/8" plate is easier to come by than 5/16" (wondered why they spec.'d that in their plans) so.... to be safe I compensated for the difference when I machined the spacers. Being a toolmaker I realise I have the advantage of the machining part of it, but after it was all "said and done", I couldn't see how 1/16" in plate thickness made much difference. Just my .02 smile.gif

------------------

'71 240

'91 TBI 305,700R4 w/ shift kit

Yes, JTR has all the hardware needed to do the install. The best combo would be a 350 block and a 700R4 trans.

I ordered all the stuff from them.

I did not need to install the frame spacers in my 73 240Z. That was to clear the stearing rod. I still have 1" clearance without.

Also If you use the GM motor mounts the say to cut a tad of metal from them, again I did not have to do any cutting on my motor mounts.

Check out my web page. Going to post more photos tomorrow.

Dave Booth

------------------

www.geocities.com/kc6wfs/240z.html