HybridZ

Teeny little slop in steering universal

After installing poly bushings, rebuilding the steering rack, replacing the tie rods, and general futsing, I still had a little steering slop, and I mean a little. But it was driving me nuts, so I finally tracked it down to the universal at the base of the steering shaft, behind the damper assembly. I imagine the teeny little bearings in there are shot. Q: is this thing repairable is some way? The bearings appear to be staked in place, and I've never tried to disassemble such a thing. I imagine I can grind down the staking points, pull the little bearings, and find replacements. Assuming of course it's the bearings, and not the cruciform in the middle.

Any suggestions? Anyone ever done this?

When that happened to me I got a used replacement shaft from MSA. This was some years ago and Nissan had already stopped carrying the part for my 1970. I don't know if the joint itself was ever replaceable.

Many others have mentioned zbarn for used parts.

If you have trouble finding a new shaft, I have read many posts where someone has either replaced the stock joint with an aftermarket one and/or added a steering knuckle for header clearance. I think the only trick to that is retaining the splined coupler that fits onto the steering rack.