HybridZ

Modifications not addressed by JTR

I'm finally starting the V-8 conversion of my 1974 260Z. I bought the car with the JTR manual with the sole intent of a V-8 conversion. The car will be a drag car first and street legal second (cornering is not a concern and smog laws are not applicable in my location). I've gutted the car (no engine, trans, interior, wiring, heater, etc) and will only replace what is needed to make it run. I intend to use this as my drag car for several years so the engine will start out modest and grow until my budget dries up or common sense prevails. I've made the JTR motor mounts per the book. I plan (don't laugh) to use the frame rails from a Chevelle narrowed to fit the 260Z. This is my low budget solution to several concerns linked to a high torque/horsepower conversion in a unibody car. A Ford 9" will be utilized along with a TH400. I have the parts to build either a 377 (350 crank-400 block) or a 406, but am leaning to the 406.

QUESTIONS:

Does a car this light need/can it use the torque of a 406 or would a higher reving 377 be the way to go?

The JTR manual says you can not uses an 8" balancer, but I must use that with the 406 and would like to use an 8" balancer if I go with the 377. What modifications are needed to use the 8" balance while installing the engine with the JTR motor mounts?

Starter clearance is also a problem. I've obtained a balance plate that allows use of the 153 tooth flexplate w/o having to internally balance the 400 crank. I need to turn over a 11:1+ engine when its hot. What are some suggestions for a starter? Brand? Source?

Does anyone sell a 8-10 point roll cage kit for this car that meets NHRA specs? Who? How much? Or maybe just plans?

I have all the 9" parts except gears-I was thinking of 4.30s or 4.56s. How narrow can/should I make the rear end? Tire size-how big (tall & wide) can I use? Any thoughts on gearing?

About how much would a gutted 260Z with the above mentioned parts weigh?

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Am I missing something or do my plans include major flaws?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Peternell (edited December 15, 2000).]

Wow, lots of questions! First of all welcome!! Chevelle rail are huge! Unless you sink them into the floor they will hang down to far. All you need to do is build some frame connectors and rebuild the rear half of the frame for your 9" and wide tire/tub combo. I did this with my 240Z w/12 bolt Chevy. Or you could graft in a S&W race car rear frame and suspension setup. Speeking of S&W they make a roll cage for the Z. 8 point and 10 point. 1-800-523-3353 > since your putting in a 9" go with the 406 and torque.The reson the 8" balancer won't work is with the JTR kit the engine sits low enough that the balancer hits the rack & pinion.There is actually quite abit of room for a starter, I'm using a gear reduction from Jeg's. Ron, who is a member here, drag races a big block Z and can better help you with the drag race end of your qustions.

------------------

http://members.tripod.com/~SnowSurfer/mikekz1.html