HybridZ

944 vs 240z

rudypoochris

My 240 used to very twitchy. Over bumpy surfaces it practically drove itself all over the place. And wet roads were terrifying. It always cornered well (after springs, shocks), but it was not an easy car to drive. I often pondered this - why was my Contour so much easier to drive?

After addressing the severe crookedness of the rear end, it is like a different car. I had never bothered getting the rear alignment done b/c it seemed pointless - it's not adjustable.

So, in terms of this comparison of 240 to 944 - or even Sentra - I would offer this: build quality. Datsuns just didn't have any. If your car handles like crap, get the full four wheel alignment checked. My right rear wheel was severely skewed. No wonder it was scary! And those few burnouts I did with the LS1 were not the reason that the tires went bald in 5K miles. After I finally got it straight in the rear, the steering wheel is turned about 10 degrees off center going straight!

As to the expense/reliability/power of the Porsche drivetrain: there is actually a kit for the SBC swap and I believe at least one vendor has one for the LS1 (Renegade?).

Don't try to compair anyhthing to a Geo, they aren't made for handeling. Example, I took a 25mph turn going 20 in an early 1990's metro and it plowed right into the bushes then spun 180. WTF? But I did rent a buick once that did a full 360 on dry blacktop at 20mph. I was so flabergasted I had to get out and check the suspension, tires and drivtrain. I was taking a turn in a neighborhood at 20mph and :shock: "did I just turn 360?" Luckily there was nobody around.