HybridZ

EGR Valve Location on 99 Maxima

Georgia Flash

Hi guys I need to get at the EGR valve on my wife's 99 Maxima. Problem is I think that it may be underneath the plentum. I have taken a photo of the engine bay. Can anyone suggest where the valve may be?

8210DSCF0005-med.JPG

By the way the reason I need to know is because the check engine light is on (again) and the code suggested the EGR. I want to clean it and put it back in. Thanks for any help in advance.

Guest BadKarma99-4sp

the egr is under the throttle body, youll need to remove from about the maf back to the throttle body, maybe even the airbox(i have an aftermarket intake so there was more space). i took off the throttle body but im not sure if that is completly necessary. youll have to pull/remove several hoses(3?) out of the way and the egr will be right under them. the egr has two rubber hoses coming out of the top and a metal pipe at the bottom of it(metal pipe routes into/from your exhaust). pliers to remove the hoses and a wrench to remove the metal pipe then there are two bolts holding the valve to the engine. youll also need another egr gasket, its paper and you could probably make one from a wheaties box, but the dealer will want 3$ or 4$ for one.

i used throttle body cleaner to break up the carbon deposits and got the valve clean. this did not solve my problem however and i ended up having to go to a mechanic and have the system flushed. they told me there was a line nearly completely blocked. cost me about 120$ and havent had a problem with it since.

i would suggest you go to maxima.org as there is everything you could ever want to know about any year maxima.

and a couple questions for comparison, if you dont mind. How many miles do you have and what grade gas do you use?

good luck

let me know if you need anything else

Hey I appreciate the detailed response. I was beginning to think that I was going to be on my own on this one. I do not know right off hand how many miles are on the car (I’m at work right now) but as far as the gas goes. My wife is a frugal one and she uses the cheapest gas that she can get her hands on.

Thanks again, I looked for maxima links but they did not give the answers I was looking for, I will try Maxima.com.