HybridZ

4spd tranny ???

Guest Jim226

Guest Jim226

Hey everyone i just got a early model 260z parts car so i can finish my current project which is a late model (10/74) 260z with an automatic transmission. Now here is the question, whoever the previous owner was tried putting a ZX block onto the stock 4spd transmission?? now i wanna beable to swap the manual into my automatic. What exactly is needed to do this swap???

Jim, have you tried the search function? I believe your biggest hurtle will be the clutch pedal....the trans is a bolt up deal! Of course you'll need a flywheel and clutch assy. Do a little searching in the archives and you should find what you are looking for.

Guest Jim226

Ok well i was on the classiczcars.com website and saw a thread about this but not very detailed. i know i will need the following parts, i have about 90% of them but my real problem is the pilot bushing. Like i said earlier my car is an automatic and i want it to be a manual, from what i have gathered autos did not come with it. Now the engine that is on the 4spd tranny now is out of a 280zx. Will the pilot bushing be the same or do i need to get one out of a 260z???? if so where can i find one??? MSA, British victoria. I read somewhere thier is a place in texas that is a Z graveyard lol does anyone know the name of it??

P.S. whats the difference between a manual starter and a regular one ?

Transmission

Manual starter

Clutch kit

Pedals - both the brake and clutch

Flywheel with bolts

Clutch Master Cylinder

Slave cylinder

rubber line to slave cylinder

medal hydraulic line

pilot bushing for the crankshaft

The automatic transmission Z's have a flex plate, instead of a flywheel, that the torque converter bolts to and does not require a pilot bushing. Regarding the pilot bushings, I believe they are the same from one flywheel to the other flywheel. Regarding the starters, I don't think there is any difference.

Guest Jim226

Ok well sounds good i'm sure i will need a new pilot bushing, where can you find OEM ones at? and as far as the manual starter i read that the wiring to the transmissions are different and that i might need a distributor out of a manual??

You can purchase new pilot bushings from just about any auto parts store or go to Nissan. Regarding the distributor for the automatic...if I remember correctly, it is a dual point set-up but is not the type one uses for longer dwell (not a performance type unit). So, yes you might consider one for a manual trans set-up (single point unit) or call Pertonics to see if they have a kit that fits the one you have. Converting to an an electronic ignition is a good thing and money well spent.

Guest Jim226

Thanks for the help, i have right now a crane electronic ignition. But i dont think it's a 260z distributor ? might be a 280z or zx will it matter at all ?