HybridZ

Engine Flush

Well I tried searching and really didn't find much out. Tomorrow I want to change the oil ( It's due, and I also believe I have a lifter ticking) I am just thinking it's gummed up. The motor / head wasn't rebuilt long ago. I pulled the plugs and put a light up to each cylinder trying to see the pistons, it appears their is quite a bit of buildup. What type of engine flush has anyone used that parts stores usually stock? Any luck with a certain type / problems that were noticed? I am just trying to get an insight on this. I have not run Synthetic oil in the motor at all, been debating whether or not to. I run synthetic in the r200 diff and BW T-5 tranny though.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

You can add a quart of Dexron ATF to your oil when you change it and leave it in like normal, but I would avoid any commercial engine flushes because they may be a bit harsh. The Dexron is slightliy less lubricative than oil, but has extra detergents. You can also add a quart of Seafoam from Napa or Carquest to about a 1/4 tank of gas, and/or you can do the Seafoam treatment described on the can where you stall the engine out by sucking Seafoam through an intake vacuum line and then let it sit for 10 minutes.

Depending on what engine you have, you may have mechanical lifters that need to be adjusted, and that could be causing the ticking.

I live across the Bay from you if you ever need any service done cheap.

I had lifter ticking in my SUV Mitsubishi Montero Sport.The car had almost 50 thousand miles.And i used Mobile1 syntetic oil since the car had 3000 miles. I went to the dealership because car was still under the warranty, and they said that first i need to performe engine flush.And i did.The noice gone now, and i put another 20000 miles on that car without any problems.In fact, i liked the results and took all cars in my family including my 240z to performe flush.The engine runs much smoother you can feel it right away.I don't know if i gain any HP or my MPG went up, don't think so.But i really liked the results.The power flush was performed with Bilstein r2000 machine, as they say this power flush takes out all sludge which accumulates with time inside the motor.I highly recomend this power flush to anyone who's car is more then 50,000 miles.The usuall cost is about $120.But i got a deal at $100.So, if you own the car and would like to keep it in a good running condition, do the power flush, even it seems that $100 is a lot, i think the money are well spend.Just my 02.

TRUST ME DON'T USE ENGINE FLUSHES!!! I too thought this sounded like a good thing, I even purchased some and right before I was going to do it that day I stopped at this shop to ask a guy about carbs. and there were like 10 gear heads in there and I said I thought I was going to do this to my 67 firebird and they said absolutly don't do it!!!!! They all had horror stories or knew of them. They said the same way to strong, for most and you do more damage then good by far. I thought I should beleive them so I didn't and it wasn't 2 weeks after that and I over heard a guy in one of my classes say how he used engine restore and now his car runs like sh*t and has crap for compression!!! So do what you want but i wouldn't!

You can add a quart of Dexron ATF to your oil when you change it and leave it in like normal' date=' but I would avoid any commercial engine flushes because they may be a bit harsh. The Dexron is slightliy less lubricative than oil, but has extra detergents. You can also add a quart of Seafoam from Napa or Carquest to about a 1/4 tank of gas, and/or you can do the Seafoam treatment described on the can where you stall the engine out by sucking Seafoam through an intake vacuum line and then let it sit for 10 minutes.

Depending on what engine you have, you may have mechanical lifters that need to be adjusted, and that could be causing the ticking.

I live across the Bay from you if you ever need any service done cheap.[/quote']

OH AND LIKE HE SAID SEA FOAM WORKS WONDERS I SWEAR BY IT!!!!!

Just so everyone knows the motor probably has 4,000 miles on it. It's a 83 turbo motor with a 83 hydraulic p90a head. I have heard good things about seafoam and have a few friends that run it without any problems. I am going to pull the valve cover off and make sure everything is okay and torqued down properly. Change the oil and possible do a seafoam treatment just to see if this ticking goes away. I have ran engine flush in the motor that was in the car before ( non turbo L28 and it was fine. I am just getting other peoples input on things. This motor has a good ammount of money into it as well as a nice new turbo. I rather take precautions then to have a nightmare..