HybridZ

HID retrofits, what would you guys pay?

JaysZ

to have it done. ready to use, just plug and play. what would be a good deal for you? i'll be doing a set very shortly. the projectors being used would most likely come from an Audi A6, BMW E46, or Mercedes E55 with 4300k D2S bulbs and retrofitted into a diamond headlight housing. the only concern would be theft... these would be easy to get to since there is no real backing to it under the fender. any ideas on how to prevent this will be cool.

Guest KEINoze

A friend of a friend sells aftermarket lighting for cars. I heard he had HID kits starting at $250. I thought that was a very good price; one that won't scare buyers away.

HID's are a very hot item for thieves. Anti-theft bolts for the headlight backing should prevent all thefts. It won't discourage them from trying though. The bolts would be a good addition to the kit you are trying to put together.

It's really not up to the aftermarket HID manufactuer to help prevent theft. A good alarm system will be triggered by anybody trying to get to those headlights. My Viper system goes off by tapping on the hood.

It'll be great if you can come up with a full plug and play HID for the Z. I have been pondering about ideas of retrofitting projectors into them for a while now. Many new sports cars have a clear headlight cover with a cluster of smaller projectors behind it. This mod will definately get rid of the "classic" look of the Z up front.

A friend of a friend sells aftermarket lighting for cars. I heard he had HID kits starting at $250. I thought that was a very good price; one that won't scare buyers away.

HID's are a very hot item for thieves. Anti-theft bolts for the headlight backing should prevent all thefts. It won't discourage them from trying though. The bolts would be a good addition to the kit you are trying to put together.

It's really not up to the aftermarket HID manufactuer to help prevent theft. A good alarm system will be triggered by anybody trying to get to those headlights. My Viper system goes off by tapping on the hood.

It'll be great if you can come up with a full plug and play HID for the Z. I have been pondering about ideas of retrofitting projectors into them for a while now. Many new sports cars have a clear headlight cover with a cluster of smaller projectors behind it. This mod will definately get rid of the "classic" look of the Z up front.

$250 sounds like a price for just the bulbs and ballast. however, a retrofit with a new housing, projectors, bezels, ballasts, and bulbs, with labor would definately cost more.. on most cars the usually get up to $500 and up to $700 or more for really custom jobs. it all depends on projector selection and the amount of work needed for that particular job.

a Z headlamp wouldn't be very difficult and the housing isn't expensive either, but the rest of the parts alone would cost about $250.. like you, i personally think the Q45 projector (the one that looks like a gatling gun) would like awesome on a Z but are harder to find. the Audi, BMW, and Mercedes projectors are easier to find and have great quality, some having bixenon capabilities too!

well, anyway, i am in the process of ordering some of the equipment.. when i am done I will provide pictures :)

thanks for your input on the security btw, i will try to incorporate something like that into the housing.

wow.. thats pretty cool!

my only concern would be the quality of the projector, but for the price of those, i would have to assume they would be nice. those cheap APC and TYC projector lights you see on ebay for other cars have crappy projectors and still get poor light output and cutoff lines.

as for what i would be making.. i would need a harness with a relay to tap into the stock headlight harness. i dont know how to do this..