HybridZ

6 point cage progress

looks great hope to see ya at RA

Chucky,

You're just south of Madison! I'll be having another Z get together later this year. Last year was a blast and this year we will have have a dozen more "running" Z cars attending :-D .

I'm hoping to get the GNZ sorted out in time for the fall sesion of Speedseekers at Road America.

!M!

Matt,

The pic with the doors off was good for me to see. It made me decide that I do not want to go that route. It would bug the frig out of me to have to climb over one of those 3 to 4 times a day. Still I would like the added rigidity that they offer. I wonder if I could increase the bend you have in yours to allow for eassier entry departure, and still have them be viable. I realize that they would be less than optimal in a crash situation, but that is not my concern as much as strengthening the chasis.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 73Turbo240z
Matt' date='

The pic with the doors off was good for me to see. It made me decide that I do not want to go that route. It would bug the frig out of me to have to climb over one of those 3 to 4 times a day. Still I would like the added rigidity that they offer. I wonder if I could increase the bend you have in yours to allow for eassier entry departure, and still have them be viable. I realize that they would be less than optimal in a crash situation, but that is not my concern as much as strengthening the chasis.[/quote']

what about changing the radius of the door bar bend further toward the floor pan, then doing perpendicular countersupports at the apex of that bend, back into plate mounted in the other seat belt pocket or on the floor pan itself.

altering the door bar radius would reduce it's strength, but the the perpendicular countersupport should give that support back, you'd gain a few more lbs to the car, but for those that are bigger fellas such as myself (6'0" 200lbs) it would make life alot easier, then again, a smaller diameter steering wheel would help too, and you could always shim the seat up a bit to keep from effectively a$$ bombing your car every time you get in.

what about changing the radius of the door bar bend further toward the floor pan, then doing perpendicular countersupports at the apex of that bend, back into plate mounted in the other seat belt pocket or on the floor pan itself.

I was thinking about something similar but had not considered the additional bracing....good point

you could always shim the seat up a bit to keep from effectively a$$ bombing your car every time you get in.

I am 6'1" 225...A$$ bombs occur getting in my car with or without a cage!!!:-D