HybridZ

ZX Headers

I was looking through the posts of the people who have done ZX swaps and what they did as far as driver's side exhaust with R@P. Anyway, all of the posts are close to 4 years old. So I thought I would ask if anyone has any new information about what headers fit or new approaches to the problem. I was very interested in the spacers that Ross had fabricated but I can't seem to touch base with him. Anyone else try a spacer (if so can you give me a rough estimate how much it would cost to have a shop fabricate the spacer) or is it the general concensus that the header should be bent/welded/or further modified. I'm getting edgy so if I can't get in contact with Ross I will probably flip the manifold to get it to the muffler shop or maybe I'll just start cutting.... Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jasonv8z

I have an LT1 ZX w/ power rack and pinion.

I wasn't happy with the Sanderson block huggers I bought from a flow standpoint (the primaries are cut and at and abrupt angle as they exit the flange), so I modified the stock manifold (the downward exiting one) for the driver's side. I cut off the 3 bolt flange, and TIG welded my own tube at the proper angle with SS 304 filler. I'm sure a welding shop could do this for you.

You cannot use LT1 headers for an LS1. THe port shapes and spacing are different.

You can use LT1 header flanges as spacers if you desire. Look around and you should be able to find a few companies. I bought mine from:

http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/index.php

They deal in stainless, but they might be able to cut you some mild steel flanges with their CNC plasma table.

Jasonv8z, Just to avoid confusion, did you use Sanderson "Block hugger" headers on your ZX or did you use the Sanderson headers for the ZX?

The reason I am asking is because the Sanderson headers for the ZX are not "block hugger" headers, and come away from the block.

I am currently using the JTR Sanderson ceramic coated headers on my 83 LT1 ZX. As far as I know these are custom and not off the shelf as both driver side and passenger are different. They worked fine for me. I modified (bent) the power rack pressure and return lines for better clearance, then exhaust shop angled off the exhaust from the collector.