HybridZ

AFM Location??

75280z

Hey I hope this is the right forum i didnt really know exactly..Any Way

Where should i put the AFM i am doing an L28et swap into my 1975 280z and i cant figure out the best place to put the AFM i am doing a stock swap and was just wondering if any one had some pictures or advice.. Thank You

Guest bastaad525

Not a lot of places TO put it, at least, not if you're planning on using the stock rubber boot that connects the AFM to the turbo.

I left the rubber boot oriented pretty much the way it was in the ZX, when I did the turbo swap into my 240. This put the AFM right up against the radiator, and also very close to the front radiator support. There are two holes in the support there, a bigger one above and a smaller one below. Both are too small to fit a proper sized hose for the inlet of the AFM. I ended up enlarging the lower one, as I knew I'd eventually use the upper one to pass an I/C pipe thru... anyways I enlarged it and used just a piece of aluminum pipe, 3", connected to the stock small rubber coupler that was used to connect the AFM to the air filter box... anyways the pipe passes out thru the radiator support and then a K&N filter sits out front next to the I/C.

You're options get a bit better if you aren't hung up on using the stock AFM-to-Turbo boot... you can even mount it right on the turbo if you get a coupler/reducer, though you probably still want to find a way to extend your air inlet/filter out in front of the radiator support, as opposed to leaving it in the engine bay to suck in very hot air.

I think the turbo/supercharger section would have been the ideal place to post, but oh well...

I've seen people use the stock rubber boot and have the AFM right up against the strut tower/wheel tub, with a filter right behind the rad support panel in a 240z. However if you take a close look as a 280z vs. a 240z you will see the panels are a little different, and I don't think it would work well in a 280z.

I have a 280z as well and I can tell you what I did.. First of all, I did use the stock rubber boot. Then I used the plastic air intake tube from a 85 300zx n/a. The tube is exactly the right size and incorporates a 90 degree mandrel bend. It is fairly long and allowed me to feed the tube through the large round hole in the rad support and connect to the rubber boot. This way there is a 90 degree bend in front of the rad allowing the AFM to sit sideways in front of the rad. Even the 300zx tube has a rubber that fits the AFM perfectly, in fact when installed it looks almost as a factory setup, as if Nissan made it. It is a Nissan part, afterall! Throw a K&N cone filter on the AFM and you're set. I did have to make two small modifications though:

1. cut a plastic small 1/8th T fitting off the z31 tube to allow it to pass through the rad support. (I just filled it up with some JB weld)

2. make a support bracket to hold the weight of the AFM (I used the two bolt holes from the original air filter on the top of the rad support to anchor the bracket)

Hope that helps you out.

Guest bastaad525

whoa you got the AFM itself sitting in front of the rad support? Only problem I have with that is maybe that it may get VERY dirty there, on the outside anyways... I know my I/C and air filter just get caked with road grime very quickly...

also... depending on how you would set up an I/C, or IF you will put one eventually, placing the AFM AND an air filter there could be eating into valuable space where you would put the I/C and piping.

By the way, I had forgot, I do actually have some pics over at cardomain.com that show how I put my AFM....

okay well upon closer look they aren't the best pics :-P but at least will give you a general idea of where I placed it (a VERY general idea....)

First is an older pic from before when I installed the I/C, you can see the top edge of the AFM there at the lower left corner... this is using the stock rubber afm-to-turbo boot:

635763_19_full.jpg

Same location, only now the I/C pipe passes over it... there was plenty of room and I didn't have to rearrange anything when I finally got around to installing an I/C:

635763_22_full.jpg

One last pic, you can still get a small peak of the AFM, but mostly I'm showing this one to show where I have my air filter placed, right beside the I/C, under the rubber coupler.

635763_7_full.jpg

if I can I'll take some better pics from directly above to show the placment a little better... these were just engine bay shots to 'show off'... but if you search around I KNOW there are guys with pics of their setups that give a much better view of how they placed the AFM's.

Guest Loose_Screws

I extended the harness on my AFM and mounted it in front of the radiator, had a peice of 3" exhaust pipe bent to connect it to the turbo inlet, and slapped a ricer air filter on it. Worked beautifully. I also drilled a hole in the flapper and CONSTANTLY did adjustment to the spring to get the A/F at a driveable setting.

But, all of that has been trashed and went the MegaSquirt route. Now, instead of adjusting a single spring for A/F rate, I have more parameters and settings that can be a little confusing!

whoa you got the AFM itself sitting in front of the rad support? Only problem I have with that is maybe that it may get VERY dirty there' date=' on the outside anyways... I know my I/C and air filter just get caked with road grime very quickly...

also... depending on how you would set up an I/C, or IF you will put one eventually, placing the AFM AND an air filter there could be eating into valuable space where you would put the I/C and piping.[/quote']

I don't see the big issue with road grime, I've had that setup for two years and haven't had a problem. I would worry about the air filter long before I would concern myself with the AFM, and lots of people mount filters in front of the rad.

As for the problem with mounting a intercooler, I realize that there is a big issue to tackle if I ever install a intercooler. However 75280Z stated that he was just going with a "stock swap"

Guest bastaad525

well the afm itself should be fine unless you have removed that plastic cover on the side to adjust the spring tension, and hence broken the air tight seal there, I imagine road grime could possibly work it's way inside the unit. I'd also worry about grime getting into the connector from the wiring harness... not a very tight 'seal' there at all at least not on mine... I used to have problems every time I'd wash the car some water would find it's way into that connection... until I finally put some dielectric grease in there to help seal it up. But you're the one running it that way, not me :D so if you're having no problems with it might be a great way to go... especially considering I did forget one thing I had to do to place the AFM where I did, I had to hammer the wheel well in a bit to make room, something that not everyone might be willing to do.

Well if room is an issue and you dont want to put it out front of the radiator support you could always move it closer to the turbo...

Hey guys thank you for all the post i think i am probably going to go the route about mounting it around the stock location i might take a hammer to the fender well, i will have to see i am working on wiring right now :D..yeah!! well thank you guys now i just need to understand this wiring stuff..