HybridZ

Leaking tranny pan?

Guest tony78_280z

Guest tony78_280z

After installing the transmission and filling it with fluid it didn't leak. I then installed a B&M shift kit and I changed the filter. When I took off the pan I did it gently so as to not bend or warp the pan. After it was installed I took it for a test drive and noticed a leak. It leaks at the front passneger side corner of the pan and it appears to be from between the pan and the gasket. In The process of tightening a bolt to try to stop the leak I ripped the bolt head off. :cuss:Read About it Here. So I had to drill it and 'easy out'ed it. (Why do they call them easy outs? They sure as hell aint easy!) I replaced the cork gasket with the cork gasket that came with the shift kit thinking how lucky I was to have a left over gasket, and put it back up. Still leaking!

I've gone through two gaskets, so before I waste a third I need to know if there is someway to test for pan warpage? Is there some kind of gasket sealer that might work? Any other advice, tips or tricks?

As it is I'm gonna have to just keep an eye on my tranny fluid level and keep adding some until I figure out what to do. :???:

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Checking the pan is easy. You can invert it on a tabletop, smooth concrete, etc, or you can lay a yard stick or similar straightedge on the flanges and chek for flatness.

If you torqued the bolt hard enough to break it, you're tightening them WAY too much. Tranny pan bolts are only supposed to be torqued to 10 lb/ft. Torque them to 6-7 lb/ft in a criss-cross manner from the center out, then do the final torque the same way only to 10 lb/ft.

Drop the pan, check it for straightness, check the tranny surface for debris or nicks, and install a fresh gasket to the correct torque... and make sure the gasket is installed correctly; they have subtle cutouts that you have to pay attention to when positioning them. Don't use any sealer. Bits of sealer + tiny fluid passages = trouble.

Guest tony78_280z

It does enter the passenger side and it is sort of towards the center/front. But I don't recall a seal there in that location. Besides I can see the fluid colecting between the pan and the gasket. It may be possible the TV cable bracket is hitting the bottom of the pan keeping it from sealing, but you'd think I'd have alot bigger problems on my hands.

• 2 months later...
Guest tony78_280z

I replaced the pan with a new one (all chrome with a drain plug and of course the extra capacity:-D ) and reused the 2nd cork gasket (Why is a tranny pan is sold without a gasket?) I inspected the gasket and it didn't look damaged or crushed so I crossed my fingers and put it on.

The damn thing still leaks! not as bad as before. But definate slow drips. I'll try another new gasket, number 3. Do they sell rubber ones for a 700r4? And if that don't work I'm gonna have to give in and take it to a shop. Before that, can anyone advise me of anything else to check?

Try a Felpro gasket....get you one of those little Harbour Freight clickit torque wrenches in 1/4 drive that are usually on sale. (I got a better quality 3/8 drive for $12 bucks to replace my 1/2 inch drive Craftsman) and torque that gasket down like you are performing brain surgery on yourself. and tighten in a criss-cross manner not in a straight line as mentioned previously and get some non hardening gasket sealer (black and gooey and harder to get off your hands than a deadbeat in law)..

Well if your using a chrome pan, you have to scuff up the gasket surface or it wont seal because the surface is too smooth.

If I were you I would drop the pan and remove the cork gasket and just use some engine RTV to seal up the pan. You will not have to worry about RTV getting in to the tranny if you use it with in reason. I do it all the time at work because all the Dodge Caravans dont use gaskets and require the use of RTV to seal the pan.

Guy

Guest tony78_280z
If I were you I would drop the pan and remove the cork gasket and just use some engine RTV to seal up the pan. You will not have to worry about RTV getting in to the tranny if you use it with in reason. I do it all the time at work because all the Dodge Caravans dont use gaskets and require the use of RTV to seal the pan.
I got a dodge caravan. What tranny problems am I gonna be lookin at in the future?

RTV? You mean the blue silicone? You say "if you use it with in reason." what do you mean by this? I didn't think blue silicone would work. Can I use it on a gasket? Tell me more about this process!!

Right now I'm lookin at gettin one of those Mr Gasket brand gaskets. They claim to be thicker and stronger and to stop leaks. If that doesn't work I'll try the blue silicone technique.

No I mean the black stuff. Atleast thats what color we use. We als have orange RTV but we only use that on rearends with LSD.

By with in reason, I mean dont use the whole tube of it on one pan! LOL Just put about a 1/8" bead all the way around the pan(after you scuff up the pan surface). Then clean up the tranny surface real nice, spray it with brake clean and put the pan on. Then just put the bolts in so that they are tight(we dont torque them at work either, we just tighten them down evenly by hand).

I dont use the silicon/RTV with a gasket just because I dont feel it is needed.

As for your tranny in your Caravan, all I can say is do your tranny flushes religously at 30-40K miles. They arent the best trannys in the world thats for sure! If you do your maintance at the same shop they might give you a deal when/if your tranny does go. Thats how we treat our "good customers".

Guy