HybridZ

Removing exhaust flange studs?

zxgtr

I searched the forums and still couldnt find anything good on how to remove the studs that hold the turbo to the exhaust manifold.

I heated mine up for about 5mins with a propane torch then tryed to use vicegrips to turn them, wouldnt budge..

Id rather not drill them out and I dont think PB Blaster will do squat, how long do I have to keep the torch on it? 5mins felt like a long time.

Where can I get replacement studs as well? I have a 3/8" spacer, would like to go out so I can fit a 1/2" spacer later on if I upgrade to a larger turbo, I cant get anything that fits locally.

I also need studs for the DP, I forget the bolt size (can look it up), I dont know the size for the manifold side tho.

Thanks, if I missed something in the search just give me a link.

i just removed mine the other day. I double nutted them so I could use a wrench to turn them. I got lucky because one broke off and 3 out of 4 stripped the holes a little coming out. I kept using the blaster oil and working back and forth. Took a couple hours. I then cleaned the threads up with a tap and bought new 2.25" long studs from http://www.atpturbo.com

They don't list them you have to call or email. They were 10mm. I put jb weld on the threads when I installed the new ones and figured this is the last time I mess with the stock manifold anyway.

Thank you mobythevan! I didnt even thing about a double nut on it to pull them out with, I didnt really think vicegrips were the proper way, no real good way to get grip with them and they just strip :)

Time to find the nuts ;)

Thanks for the link for the studs, ill order them up in the next couple days.