HybridZ

coilover set up in a 240z (need help)

Guest texasthojp

Guest texasthojp

Hi Gang,

Naturally, I have a z car with a chevy small block V8. I tend to suspect that a previous owner weakend the stock coil springs to produce a low ride height and now the car bottoms out on any swell in the freeway. I am trying to get the 6.5" stock ride height too.

According to jagsthatrun book that I have, they say to use 2 1/2" springs with a rating of 150-175 lbs/inch and 12" - 14" of free length. They even have pictures of the front suspension with the new coil overs. The problem is is that the tech people at JTR do not respond and I have looked at a few parts books, but have not been able to come up with a part number. Have any of you performed this modification to a Z car? Does anybody have a manufacturer name or part number for the coil over conversion? I would love to go with coil overs on all four corners. Any help is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

John T.

Welcome to Hybrid John.

Give the search engine here a try. Many of us have coilovers and there is lots of information in the archives on where to buy and how to install coilovers and all the pros, cons, and variations.

After some reading if you have some specific questions that are not answered from your search please post them.

Dan

A ring is welded to the strut and the threaded tube rests on it.

Some kits come with o-rings that are wedged between the the tube and the strut to keep the tube from rotating while you adjust the lower perch. I found the o-rings to be a poor solution. They would slip and let the tube rest at an angle to the strut causing the spring to wear on the tube threads.

On the last set I did I wrapped duct tape around the strut untill the tube fit tight then i ran a small bead of silicone around the top of the tube. This keeps the tube parallel to the strut and secure but it can still be removed with a simple razor blade and a tug.

Guest texasthojp

Hey Dan,

Thanks for your replies they really help out. I'll probably get started on the process of the coil overs two weekends from now.

By the way.... Both of those vehicles you have pictured are just terribly gorgeous.