HybridZ

Autometer Speedometer

Hi All,

For starts I did a search and did not find any answer. I need to know if I will have to modify or get a new speedometer cable to attach an autometer 5" speedometer to my 77 280Z?? I am using the engine/transmission from a 82 280ZXT.

Also any other useful information would be great.

I did find some interesting ways to mount the unit.

Thanks for your help.

HB280ZT

Hi. I used the oem cable on my '72 240z with a 5" Autometer. I was told the threads weren't the same but they are close enough to get it to work. Just this week I took the speedo out and it doesn't appear the threads were stripped at all. You probably will need to recalibrate the speedo, I believe the Autometer units come as 1000rpm = 60mph. Should be the same or at least very similar for a 280Z.

You would actually have to replace the drive pinion in the tranny, on the other end of the speedo cable. I think MSA sells these but you will need to figure out how many teeth your new gear will need. Mine always seemed to be pretty close, so I never bothered changing mine.

Guest 81na ZX

If you haven't bought it yet, it might be easier (but more $$$) to go with an electric speedo instead of the mechanical.

As an added bonus, electrical ones don't bust speedo cables due to high speed.

Ok,

Just for a what if, how would you attach an electric speedo to a factory Datsun 5 speed? Most of the parts that i have seen still use part of the cable but just make it shorter,ie it still runs into the passenger compartment but it attachs to a pickup vice the back of the speedo. Good question???

HB280ZT

You would need an inline pulse generator. It mounts between the tranny gear and the cable. This unit produces the square wave pattern needed to drive the Autometer speedo. The speedo has a small switch (mounted externally) you would use to calibrate the gauge. It is covered in the instructions provided with the gauge. I have never had much luck with these inline generators. I ended up modifying my tranny to accept a reluctor ring and VSS (vehicle speed sensor) to feed my Autometer speedo and the PCM for the Chevy 4.3 Vortec V6. While this is not installed in my 240Z, the principles and application remains the same. This was accomplished by machining a reluctor gear to be a friction fit (also drilled and tapped for 3 setscrews to hold it in place) over the speedo gears on the output shaft of the tranny. I then was able to drill and tap for a VSS to line up with this reluctor gear. The clearance has to be very close for accurate pulse generation and fixed so it can't rotate in or out. Another choice would be to machine a bung to fit where the mechanical gear goes in so that the VSS is perpendicular and centered to the reluctor gear. One more note, I used a 4x4 VSS because it has threads allowing for adjustment. The car version slips into a fixed hole and is held there with a small bracket.

Guest hegan1956

Hi guys, I'm a newbie on these forums.

I have a 78Z that I'm thinking about installing a electronic speedo into. I understand that the 79 through 84 Z's used a VSS and I'm in search of one here locally. If this is true why can't you get one of these and attach it. Autometer says it will work with any electronic sender. I did a simular setup in a 72 chevy pickup so I could hook up a junked cruise control and an Autometer speedo. It worked fine, but that was a newer model GM sensor for the turbo-350.

Hi All,

Well I looked at the electronic speedometers, ouch!! I also need a tach so I will stay with the mechanical speedometer and get the tach to go with it and spend about the same for just the electronic speedometer. I can live with it not being perfectly correct, just as long as the odometer and tripmeter work. Thanks for your help.

HB280ZT

• 7 months later...
Guest gpark009

OK can anyone tell me a good electric speedo set-up they have used with the stock 5 speed tranny that worked good?? I want to convert my mechanical to electric and have searched and searched can anyone please help me out?

Update: Continued to do some more research and finally found the correct sending unit to work with any Autometer Speedos and the stock 5-speed.

You'll have to contact contact Speedometer Services at 414-463-6660 and the part number he gave me to order is HE22C-16 at $98.50. Hope this helps somebody out

Edit: Understand the sending unit part number above is for the 1981 280zx stock tranny!!!! Make sure you call Speedometer Services to verify, but atm the speedo works beautifully for me...I just wanna make sure you guys get good info