HybridZ

Log of my 240ZT build...

Jersey

Hey all. I was browsing some old pics and information i've gathered over the years about Z's and came across a log i made back in 2003 when i was swapping the '82ZXT drivetrain into my '73 240Z. Reading it now, i have to laugh but i do remember being exhausted for that entire month. I just figured maybe someone else would get a kick out of it. Just to give you some background, I bought the Z in August of '02, swapped basically the entire drivetrain from a '78 280 into it (L28 - w/SU carbs/5sp/R200) in September of '02, drove and raced it a few times like that until the HybridZ.org bug bit me good in March of '03 when all the madness started. lol. Enjoy.

On the dates listed below, work started in the garage usually around 8pm each night...

3/22/03 to 3/29/03

Removed the ’78 L28,5speed and R200 from 240. Removed everything possible from engine bay – fuel lines, brake lines, all wiring pulled back into cab, brake cylinder with booster, clutch cylinder…etc. Removed gas tank and fuel pump. Cut out battery tray. Ground down frame rails, cut out rust on inner fenders including cutting out passenger side firewall and complete section under battery tray. Drilled out all spot weld for hangers on frame rails. Bought 3x8’ 18ga steel and formed new piece(s) for under battery tray and firewall. Also picked up 1 8’ piece of 16ga angle iron, 2 ¼â€x 2 ¼â€inside diameter. Cut in half for replating frame rails. Bought floors from Charlie (ZeddFindings). More grinding/cutting. Welded new pieces (frame rail/firewall) in place. More grinding/cutting. Drilled out spot welds and cut tranny side tunnel and removed passenger side floor. Formed/shaped/cut/fitted new floor.

3/29/03

Grinded/prepped/cleaned 240 engine bay. Painted new firewall and battery tray area.

3/30/03

Continued prepping 240 engine bay. Metal prepped. Primed 3 coats. Sprayed black 3 coats. Seam sealed everything.

3/31/03

Re-taped stock wiring harness. Pulled back into engine bay and re-ran cleanly. Removed front valance to see if I liked the way the Xenon urethane airdam was going to look. I picked it out of the junks for $20 in perfect shape…couldn’t pass on it but it’s made for the 75-78 280’s which means this air damn has no lower blinker cut outs. Liked the way it looks and will figure out custom blinker setup.

4/1/03

POR15’d the inside of the ’75 gas tank. Note to self: USE GLOVES NEXT TIME.

4/2/03

I think the POR15 affected my brain since I forgot what I did this night! Lol. Note to self: Wear mask with gloves.

4/3/03

Figured out how the stock 240 metal expansion tank works with its 5 vents. Ran new hoses. Ran new 10Ga wire for ZXT fuel pump. Decided to run new 3/8†SS fuel supply line for the injection and use the old 240’s supply 5/16†line as the return. Left the old return in place – ends under hood. Re-routed the other steel line under the hood that went to the 3 way valve from the expansion tank to the other side of the engine bay (pass side) in case I want to use the charcoal canister with the ZXT motor. Ready for ’75 tank install.

4/4/03

Tried mounting ’75 tank in ’73, straps come up short. Guess the ’75 tank, which should be used for the fuel injection since it has the baffle plate inside, is a slightly different size where the straps go around. Cut and welded extensions on existing hook bolts. Fought with filler neck hose. Finally up tight and bolted in.

4/5/03

Removed ZXT hood. Started unhooking and labeling everything from ZXT motor in the ’82 – getting it ready to be removed. Removed R200 rear w/cv axles. Noticed it was 3am on clock…. to then just realize it was actually 4am due to time change.

4/6/03

Continued removing/labeling everything from ZXT motor/T5. Removed ECCM and undid all the wiring from everything but the motor. Removed motor w/T5 tranny and wiring harness attached.

4/7/03

Unbolted everything I wasn’t going to use in the 240 and some other stuff that may get in the way of cleaning it up.

4/8/03

Wire Wheeled, cleaned ZXT motor. Decided to remove complete fuel injection assembly and try cleaning top of intake better. Good place that catches a lot of crap.

4/9/03

Degreased/cleaned/wheeled ZXT motor more. Wheeled/cleaned brake/fuel/clutch hard lines in the 240 including brake proportioning valves and routed/bolted into engine bay. Mounted Clutch slave cylinder.

4/10/03

Customized original fuel pump bracket to accept ZXT pump. New hoses. Soldered wires. Mounted fuel damper. Connected all hoses. Started lining up how to route 3/8†SS supply line up front.

4/11/03

Local salvage yard on lunch – picked up a pair of Miata seats (build date 5/89) Later that night – painted block and all bolt ons, ran 3/8†SS fuel line and strapped it to original fuel lines. Used clear 3/8†pieces hose to insulate were the line would rub

4/12/03

bolted painted parts on, Cut and welded a custom mount for the T5 to be accepted in the stock 240 mounting location. Installed brake cylinder, tightened down all fittings.

4/13/03 (7 yr wedding anniversary)

pulled CV yokes out of ZXT. Removed ZXT’s pressure plate, clutch and flywheel. Installed my 2+2 240mm Fly/clutch/PP to torque. Bolted T5 up. Wheeled(cleaned) a little of the T5.

4/14/03

Received 1990 Mustang T5 stock shifter in mail today. Ebay - $20 incl. shipping. Bought rubber fuel line - $8 a foot for 130lb rated 3/8†line - OUCH. Night - replaced rack-n-pinion with one stripped off of ’78 donor. Painted front crossmember, piece behind grill, motor mounts. Installed motor & T5. yes. Custom T5 bracket lined up perfectly with 240 stock mount.

4/15/03

dropped off air dam to be painted. Night – wheeled and installed fuel injection rail, starter, alternator, fuel filter bracket. Tried flaring the 3/8†SS fuel line I ran, for about 2 HOURS, finally broke the Snap-On (bluepoint)double flare tool. Damn. Hope they warranty it.

4/16/03

Salvage yard on lunchtime – picked up AFM to turbo boot and a BOV mount from a ’90 Plymouth laser. Hoping boot will replace stock boot. Has the BOV input, the valve cover breather and another place to accept the VCM and is shorter which may help fit the ZXT AFM in the 240.

4/17/03 to 4/21/03

Cannot remember what I did each day for the last 5 nights because I didn’t write them down but I was working on the car each night until 2-3am. Easter Sunday included. I know i installed the ZXT harness, wired everything up, ran one separate leg of harness that went to the fuel pump harness and 2x8 plug INSDE of car to passenger side kick panel and made connections there. Removed 2 fusible links and ran wires through firewall to battery – fused. Mounted ECCS on driver kick. Pulled out hood cable and opened up hole to about 1 ½†– pulled hood cable and ZXT harness through. Cut 3/8†off of wastegate arm, threaded ¼-20, re-installed. Re-flared both ends of 3/8†SS line with new double flare kit, put a bunch of new/replacement lines/hoses in, welded BOV on turbo to TB pipe, painted and installed pipe, capped off all unused intake manifold ports, installed fuel injection rail, alternator, starter. Decided not to use VCM and capped off port on boot and intake. Finished welding in passenger side floor and rail – pained/seam sealed EVERYTHING. Installed blower motor. Messed around a little with the rails on Miata seats and the stock pod to accept 2 5/8†Autometer boost gauge. Removed old 240 hubs, installed new 40x72x10 National seals (needed to shave about 1mm off of O.D., then slid in snug), tack welded 240 hub dust shields on ZXT CV hubs and installed, put in R200 w/cv’s, driveshaft length fine, stub axle length tight…especially on drivers side..will know if they’ll bind when I get the wheels to the ground…

4/22/03

Had to fabricated custom intake out of 3†aluminized pipe for air intake. Needed to cut radiator support it was so close. Installed “Green†filter. Cut/grinded/bolted on piece that covered mech fuel pump hole in P90. Attached remembered ground under/from AFM. Installed radiator & fan. Redline MT-50 in T5. 5 quarts Mobil1. New NGK wires and plugs. Cap. Rotor. 6 gallons of gas. Fired her up…runs just about perfect! Volt gauge was a little low when in “run†or “on†position and idle was a little high – 11-1200rpm.

4/23/03

Morning - went over the complete charging wiring then found the gauge to be off. Had to try it before off to work (Impatient) and bothered me all night. Adjusted the throttle stop a liitle and brought the R's down to 800. Nice.