HybridZ

hoo-yeah, we got six speeds

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, finally got the tilton master cylinder last night, and now it's a sweet thing. Just took a quick spin down the road, the t56 is sooo much more fun to drive than the 700-r4. Installing the transmission was a piece of cake, thanks to all the folks who have done it before and taken the time to write about it on this website. Thanks, guys.

Now, I'm gonna get that hood back on, and hit the highway...

Q

Guest Anonymous

Where did you get your t56, and how much did it run, and by reffering to all the help did you get them off of hybridz.org? Just wondering. Thanks for the info.

sean

------------------

"I feel the need, the need for speed!!"

Guest Anonymous

I got the 1997 six speed from Action Auto Wreckers out in Long Island NY. The transmission was $850, and the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate/slave cylinder was another $250. I got a tilton master cylinder from Martel Brothers, www.martelbros.com, for ~$60. I then needed a clutch and brake pedal set for $50 from a z junkyard (mr z, guy with a wrench), and a $22 hose and fitting assembly from a hydraulic shop up the street.

The transmission fit like it was made for the Z. Had no trouble with clearance (I had widened the tunnel quite a bit to make room for the 700r4, including cutting out the original transmission brackets). I fabbed up a bracket to hold the transmission that used the original holes from the automatic's bracket, the t56 is longer, so it involved some wacky angles, but it came out all right. The driveshaft goes into the tail of the transmission a little farther, but there's still enough room to get it in and out of the differential pilot, so if the motor moves around it shouldn't bottom out (the diff uses a solid mount).

The only headache was that the exhaust wanted to run right through the slave cylinder, I had to cut apart that header pipe and reweld it.

The info I used was mostly assurance that it could be done, and what parts I needed to buy, and how to attach the clutch hose to the slave cylinder, and how to bleed the thing when it was together. Tapping the plastic for a 1/8-npt fitting was a piece of cake, by the way. I was afraid it would be totally bogus but it worked fine.

And now that I've driven the car for a couple of days, I can say that it is absolutely the way to go if you want to keep that sports car feel. The automatic never let me feel like I had any control over the car, since the rear wheels never felt like they were connected to the engine. Now that it's back to being a manual, it's as fun as when it had the old 6 cylinder, but way more powerful. It just flies. And you can drive it so much harder now that the engine is working with you... I don't know if I'll ever need sixth gear tho, the motor turns like 1000 rpm at highway speeds- I need to take a trip out west where there are some actual roads to drive on, the east coast highways suck. I did have a good time wailing around NYC in it on Saturday, even in the rain. Stoplights are a blast.

Lotsa luck,

Quill

Screaming deal on the T56 man! Glad to hear you like it as this is what I've picked too. What rear gears do you have to turn such low Rs at speed in 6th? I hope I don't run into this - would be one of the first times I've had trouble with too LOW an RPM in top gear!

Guest Anonymous

Ok, I lied, it's turning 1700 rpm on the Palisades Parkway. Still have no idea how fast that is in MPH, but its lugging along with traffic, which usually runs ~70 mph. That sixth to third shift is pretty fun, yee hah. I wish it'd stop snowing, tho.

Stock 3.54 rear, 23" tires...

Q

Originally posted by Quill:

Ok, I lied, it's turning 1700 rpm on the Palisades Parkway. Still have no idea how fast that is in MPH, but its lugging along with traffic, which usually runs ~70 mph. That sixth to third shift is pretty fun, yee hah. I wish it'd stop snowing, tho.

Stock 3.54 rear, 23" tires...

And Your MPH is (drum roll please).....,

If your numbers are correct-which I dont think your tire size is a 23; anyway w/the numbers you've given this is your MPH.

*1) 23" tire @ 1700rpm's = 52.90mph

*2) 24" tire @ 1700rpm's = 55.19mph

*3) 25" tire @ 1700rpm's = 57.49mph

*4) 26" tire @ 1700rpm's = 59.79mph

* Providing 6th gear is .62 & your rear differential gears are w/3.545

[This message has been edited by Kevin Shasteen (edited January 10, 2001).]