HybridZ

SHOW ME YOUR BOX! (air box that is)

THUNDERZ

We did have a discussion on this not too long ago. This is the best pic of mine that I could come up with. It probably cost me about $40 in materials, and did take a long time to make. It is not 100% air tight, but some weatherstriping or something could be added to make it so.

EDIT: please no flak about the POS Fram filters, have different ones now.

3088motor_.jpg

Wow! That looks really nice. Did you have to do much welding? Did you notice an improvement in performance? What do you have for an air filter? Do you remember the name of the thread that had the past discussion on this? I cant find anything. Sounds like I had too much coffee, but I am just really curios. Thanks.

Here's that thread: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=98059

I'm in the dark ages with no digital camera, so I tried my best to describe it. I did weld the "t-tabs" on the top and bottom of the backing plate which served both to keep the box from sliding off, as well as for the latches on the other side. I also had to weld the inlet, which was a round 4" piece of aluminum just flattened a bit. I had a hard time making a good looking weld with my Lincoln Mig setup (aluminum mig kit) so I decided to pop rivit the air box to the end caps. Just another project where I kept saying to myself "if I only had a TIG..."

The air filter is another can of worms. I wanted the radiator boxed in, and built the air intake off of that almost as an after thought, but one could build the box without anything else. It's basically just another box with a 4" stub throught it, welded as well. I tried to show it in this pic:

30883006094-R1-035-16.jpg

I have run the car without it, and performance does not seem any different, but then again the air's not filtered either.

As I stated before, I had a hard time welding with .040 with a MIG, maybe others had more success. One problem was the weld started extrememely cold, but then very rapidly heated up to the point of blow through. This could be compensated for if some kind of voltage control was on the handle. I found that if I preheated the piece a bit with my Oxy torch first, and welded for short periods of time, but in quick succession, that I had decent results.

i like the idea of an air box, but does it really have any performance purposes. i could see it having the advantages of ram air. but doesnt it quite the sweet roar of the triples when you stomp on it?

It may quite the intake a little but personally, I'd never know. On my car, there's no interior, no sound deadening or those tar mats, and an open exhaust, so it's VERY loud and pretty much drowns out everything else.

http://zdriver.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3088

I've seen better, but the union block was simply a solid 1.5" sq piece of aluminum which was drilled length wise and all holes drilled through and pipe threaded. It's actually pretty heavy, and would have benifited from some additional material removal in certain spots, but oh well.