HybridZ

Yeah yeah, I know, search...

Guest Nikolai

Guest Nikolai

I can't find any solid info on the Northstar swap. I'm ready to dig in on a z car and I'm really loving the idea of the Northstar swap but it seems there is no solid info out there. I have bits and peices in notes, some solid knowledge no doubt but it's not enough. I've read that someone was succesful in getting one in but that post was from years ago and all the links to it are dead. Does anyone have pics reguarding that swap or any other useful info?

Thanks in advance, Nikolai.

Guest Nikolai
Nikolai' date='

That's a very rare swap...probably hasn't been documented.

Just out of curiosity, though...what advantages are you thinking the NS swap has over something like an LT1 or an LS1? Or...just to be different?[/quote']

Being different is a big part of it. I love a challenge I suppose. :D

Another part is it's a light weight, all aluminum DOHC V8. I don't think you can get more exotic before you go over-seas. It has good power and obviously can be improved upon with minor bolt-ons. Just very appealing to me. That and I can buy an entire caddy and use all it's junk and then sell it to a junk yard for the cost of a good condition LS1/LT1.

The earlier Northstar years require a retrofit conversion for a RWD application. I believe it is now available. I looked into it about 4 years ago. I decided for the money the the LS1 would be a better choice. If you have your heart set on it, I'm sure it can be done. It will not be easy since you will have to design your own mounts etc. You will have to get the right Northstar and tranny combo. And you will work out any bugs with the computer controls. I would start by researching the Northstar swaps in other vehicles since precious little is available for Z cars. There is a company out there that builds Northstars for swaps. I don't recall what it is but you will find it searching the web. Good luck!

Have you look at Cadillac Hot Rod Fabricators ? I think the site is chrfab.com?

Hpsalvage.com has some links to Northstar info, one for dropping a Northstar V8 into a Fiero and transmission adapter company that make and adapter plate for a 700r4.If you are commited to this swap please document, it will be something to see.

Guest Nikolai

I've been checking out a lot of that stuff. Really it's going to be about the same cost as an LS1 build up. CHRF is a good place but is rediculous on their pricing. Trying to figure out if there is anyway to custom tune the stock caddy or aurora computers.