HybridZ

Oops, I did it again...

Wagz

So, what do you do if you've had a Z project sitting unfinished in your garage for a couple of years? Some people would eventually find the motivation and "get 'er done" or eventually sell the project. Me? I could be like Pete P. and make this a 10 year + project, but I decided to "be like Mike" (ON3GO, that is) and buy ANOTHER project! --Sorry, Mike. Just had to give you some crap about about the unfinished Hulk... :D

I'm nowhere near finishing my Velo Rossa project. However, I have finally purchased a flywheel and clutch and will be getting the engine/tranny into the car in the next few weeks (or months, or...)

For about 6 months I've been looking for another S30 to turn into a semi-daily driver. I've got a pretty tight budget and have driven about 8 cars. All of them have been near terminal cancer victims (damn Northwest rain). Anyway, I came across a late 260 a few weeks ago. It's been sitting for damn near 10 years. It's the least desireable Z in my book and I figured it would be a rust bucket too. But for $800, I figured it was worth a look. Well, it is one one of the most rust-free S30s I've seen in the Northwest. The battery tray has minimal surface rust. Pans and rails are pretty straight and only some surface rust (I scraped undercoating underneath and checked extensively under the carpet, hatch, rockers, etc. It's in pretty good shape.

The headgasket was blown years ago and the owner had the head completely reworked/milled while it was off the car. It's a later L28 motor. He got the head back on and then never finished putting the rest back together. It needs a lot of work, but I got boxes of extra parts he had collected over the years. The extra parts include:

• New, never installed Mallory dual-point dizzy
  • Electronic 280 dizzy with all necessary parts to install
  • Unused stock replacement seat cover kits from MSA
  • Unused complete carpet kit from MSA
  • 2 complete sets of round-top SUs (3 bolt set and 4 bolt set)
  • Complete set of manuals including the 260Z FSM
  • Tons of other misc stuff (oil pumps, intakes, etc.)

Best of all, I talked him into taking $600 for it. So, it looks like the VR won't be getting all of my attention (not that it was getting that much attention anyway).

Here it is after rolling off the trailer:

http://marcsgarage.net/albums/260Z/IMG_1019.sized.jpg

Here it is 24 hours later:

http://marcsgarage.net/albums/260Z/IMG_1027.sized.jpg

I should have it running in the next few weeks.

WAGZ,

As I was reading the description of this car I kept thinking it was the one sitting next door to my house. An early 260 that's been sitting for at least 8 years and is relatively rust free. I tried to buy it from the owner but he wouldn't sell, so I found a 240 and bought it. I think you and I have traded several PMs so you know where I live, Tri-Cities WA. South Eastern WA desert, so cars survive forever out here.

Congrats on your find and good luck getting it back on the road. Don't let that Velo sit to long or it'll get jealous and give you all sorts of problems.

Wheelman

Wheelman, We have traded PMs a few times a while back. My wife and I are both born and raised Tri-Citians. Me=Kennewick. Her=Richland. We still own a house (rental) in Richland. I get up there fairly regularly for business and for family visits. I need to get this 260 running and drive it up this summer and arrange to catch up with you and see your Z and buy you a beer.

I got the 260 from a guy in Vancouver. He's native to the area here. I'm pretty pleased with the car. I pulled the motor although, I didn't have to. I wanted to cleanup and paint the motor and put in a new pan gasket while I was at it. It didn't seem to have any leaks, but I figured this is the best time to take all the precautions. I'm probably going to put a new clutch in it while I've got the motor out, too. I finished up scrubbing and cleaning up the engine bay today. I just need to sand and paint around the battery tray where there is some surface rust. I'll have the motor back in it sometime later this week. I have a business trip to the Tri-Cities (Hanford Site) on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I won't let the Velo Rossa get too jealous. I have a new flywheel and clutch for it so, I can finally mate the V8 to that nice, heavy T56 and get them set in the engine bay. I hope to have the motor/tranny in the car by the end of May.

Wagz,

I'd sure like to meet you some time and I'll buy the beer if you make the trip up/over.

Let me know when would be good for you and I'll make time for a cold one and a tour of the project.

Mine started off with a pretty serious case of rust under the battery tray which I had to remove and replace along with part of the firewall. Right now the front fenders and interior are removed. I've got the engine and tranny installed but haven't started it yet, I spent most of the day today trying to eliminate pin hole leaks in my gas tank after welding a sump to it. I replaced the R180 with an R200 and upgraded to CV axles and put in poly suspension bushings. I still need to have an exhuast system built and then put the interior back together.

Anyway I still have a lot to do and am getting anxious to hear the thing run. Once it's running then the body work starts so right now it looks pretty pathetic.

You mentioned you own a rental house in Richland, how has that worked out for you? My wife and I own 5 rental units (a 4-plex and a single family house) and manage 8 others (2 4-plexes). The rental market is under quite a bit of downward pressure right now due to all the building and layoffs that are taking place, fortunately we can price our units very competitively so have not had a problem with vacancies. Just curious.

Well I need to get some beauty sleep so I better go.

Wheelman