HybridZ

clutch upgrade

Guest 280z/300zx

Guest 280z/300zx

I want to upgrade my clutch on my 77 280z. It's slightly modded with no real plans to do anything crazy with it. I've heard about the turbo/2+2 clutch swap as it's supposed to be better than my n/a coupe clutch that I have now. What would I need to make this swap work? I'm using the early 5-speed that came stock in my car. Also I'll be going with a light weight flywheel, 13.5lbs, if that makes a difference. I know I would need the 240mm 13.5lbs flywheel as well as the turbo/2+2 clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. Where I'm confused is on the clutch collar and if there is anything other parts that are needed. Also once I have all the parts is it a bolt in thing or will some fabing be needed? Lastly should I even bother with trying to do this clutch swap or should I just stick with a regular n/a clutch and just get a 225mm light weight flywheel. I guess then I'll need to know if the stock clutch will even work with a light weight flywheel? Also hp is only about 170hp to the rear wheels and as I said I don't really plan on adding anything else to my set up. The stock clutch has been holding for 4 yrs/ 30k miles but it's time to replace the rear main seal so I figured I would replace the clutch while I'm in there. Thanks

No other parts are needed than what you listed. Use the collar that's with your '77. The pilot bushings are all the same. It's all a bolt-on. The stock clutch would work with a LW flywheel but, i see your kinda new to the board and your intentions of building your Z stronger are low right now. If you hang around long enough, the hybridz bug will most likely bite you so i would recommend going with the 240mm flywheel, PP and aftermarket clutch. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Guest 280z/300zx

Thanks for the response. Actually I already have the itch to do more but whats stopping me is money. I've reached the point where the next phases of my car will end up costing more money than I can afford to right now or in the near future. I'm about to graduate college with my BA in Bio. Actually all through college I've been building up and fixing up my 77 and 84. It's just now that I'm about to graduate I will be applying to Med school and PA school to see where I get in. Either way it happens I won't be able to work partime as I have been all these years as the course load is really intense. So basicly at this point I'm trying to finish off all the odds and ends of my Z like the rear main seal/clutch upgrade, getting my 240z bumper conversion done, and getting some new seats all with in the next year. Once I'm fully done with school and actually making money I'll probably start from scratch again except this time I'll do a better build up. Right now I'm just getting it so it runs strong, has some decent power, and looks good. Thanks for the help.

Guest 280z/300zx

Thanks Cozy Z Cole. Although I'm a newer member here I've been around Z boards since I first got my 84 back when I was 17, about 6 years ago. I learned long ago how to post on these boards so as not to get flammed. Still, even after six years I'm still learning. You guys here at hybridz.org seem like a good group of Zers. I'm glad to be a part of it. Thanks again to both Jersey and Cozy.

Guest bastaad525

280z/300zx - hey dude are you the same guy I used to always chat with from Zcar.com?? So you're posting over here now? Haven't heard from you in a LONG time!! So how's the car?? Last I heard was when you had that electrical fire.

By the way, if you want an even better clutch upgrade for very cheap, you can do what I did. I'm using a stock clutch disc (aftermarket not Nissan, but just a regular disc) and a heavy duty Daikin-brand pressure plate, on a turbo sized stock flywheel. The clutch/PP combo cost me only $150, not much more than just a stock set, but it is AMAZINGLY strong, much stronger than stock... it's holding 300ftlbs of torque (at the wheels, so about 350 flywheel) just fine for over 5000 miles now with not ever slipping once and I abuse it pretty regularly. Yet, the pedal feel is not too stiff, not nearly as bad as when I had the ACT six puck clutch and PP... And it's got none of that annoying chatter that the ACT had. It's been a while since I've had just a stock setup so I can't say how much stiffer than stock, but it's definately not that bad at all. This is more than strong enough to hold your current power, but the upside is that when or if you ever get around to doing any more power upgrades or if you do a turbo swap (I know you had expressed interest in that) you could keep the same setup... just one less thing to worry about. I believe I still have the business card for the place I got the set from for that price, they are in Van Nuys... I dunno if you are still attending CSUN or come down this way at all. If you wanted to check out the pedal feel on mine to see how stiff it is you'd be welcome to... that's right you never saw the car after the turbo swap and crappy paint!