HybridZ

280Z28 Exhaust Note Change

Phantom

Well, I've wondered what the first thing would be and it apparently is the drivers side exhaust. Car suddenly got a lot more gutteral today. Well, with the new 500 watt stereo today was the first time I heard it. Left it running when I got back to work and it sounds very much like the header and exhaust are starting to part company. Hopefully will be an easy fix but it will be a trip to the ramps tomorrow after it's well cooled down. Hopefully it's nothing more serious.

Put the car up on ramps this afternoon. So much for my ears being able to tell what is going on. The two bolts holding the exhaust to the header on the drivers side were snug. I gave them a few good pulls to tighten them more and then went to the passenger side. I really wish the problem had been the drivers side - much easier to access. The passenger side has three nut/bolt combinations holding the exhaust to the exhaust. Two of the nuts were completely gone and the third one was starting to loosen. That would explaint the rattling sound I've been hearing for a while - loose bolts. Was able to get a nut on one of the bolts and get it good and tight as well as the one nut that was still there. Unfortunately the third one will require two masters of contortion - one from the top and the other from the bottom to get them in. Guess I'll be driving on two nuts for a while. (Leave that one alone guys!) While I was under the car I also notice that the 02 sensor on the passenger side was loose. That might explain the dark tailpipe color and the slight reduction in fuel economy as it was loose enough to allow leakage..