HybridZ

diesel conversion... cams, etc

rayaapp2

I've been putting a little thought into porting the exhaust side of the diesel head I have. I got to looking at the cam naturally. It's really small. What would happen if I installed a minimum overlap longer duration cam say out of an early L24? (Scratch the Early L24 idea they have drip oils and will not fit in the diesel valve cover) Still I'm sure another cam might work..

Should work and give me what I want?

I am building a turbo diesel. I am sorta kinda still playing with ideas that apply to gas motors. So I really need someone that has some experience with doing stuff like this.

Does anyone have a link to the Nissan L series cam spec site?

I am trying to gain top end HP by opening up the exhaust ports, but NOT open them up to much as to lose the much needed velocity in my turbo application. I think this will help with cam choice, But will a gas cam work. Do diesels have other issues that a gas cam cannot support?

diesel%20head.jpg

another%20shot.JPG

Check this... The bolt holes don't line up. With some minor grinding I may be able to get it to clear the intake manifold and bolt onto the head. BUT I don't know if this will be possible without supporting the inherent warpage issues of the exhaust manifold. I may have to do as others have in the past and make a custom manifold for the turbo. I guess we'll find out.

also note the head has brass inserts next to every exhaust port. Oil passages.

exhaust.jpg

Yes it's a really dysfunctional picture...

123.jpg

456.jpg

123456.jpg

diesel%20combustion%20chamber.jpg

Back to the cam, Any ideas?