HybridZ

Tranny for 3800 Series 2

Guest Bignick

Guest Bignick

I'm looking at a 240z with a GM 3800 series 2 V6 in it and I was wondering if anyone knew what tranny options I would have with it, they're good little engines but I think they were only used in fwd cars, does anyone have any experience with putting one in a rwd car? Thanks

You have several options. The Buick 3800 has the Chevy 60 Degree bolt pattern. To use a Ford pattern T5, you'll have to find a 94-95 2.2L S10 bellhousing. (It's the one on the left)

attachment.php?attachmentid=920

There are also some others. Follow these threads:

http://60degreev6.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=182&highlight=barry+knight

http://l67swap.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=330

Greg

Guest Bignick

How do I tell the difference between the 60* or the 90*? What cars came with the T5? Could I find it in a fox body mustang?

Guest Bignick
That's correct. The mid-nineties Camaro-Firebirds used the Buick 3800 backed up with a Ford pattern T5. The bellhousings mounted the transmission at an angle and the starter pocket is on the drivers side.

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3258

Greg

Would I have bearing wear problems since the tranny is at an angle, is the S-10 2.2L a V6 or an I4? How common are the T5's?

A GM 3800 engine, if mounts and transmission could be sorted out would be slightly more powerful motor than the stock Z motor. My wife keeps the road hot with an old "88" model 93 Oldsmobile with this reliable 3800 engine that does not seem to burn oil without oil changes or any other type of regular maintenance. A heavy car that can get on the freeway with room to spare !

Guest Bignick
A GM 3800 engine, if mounts and transmission could be sorted out would be slightly more powerful motor than the stock Z motor. My wife keeps the road hot with an old "88" model 93 Oldsmobile with this reliable 3800 engine that does not seem to burn oil without oil changes or any other type of regular maintenance. A heavy car that can get on the freeway with room to spare !

Yea I have a 96 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi and it hauls ***, but it's too heavy and has almost 200,000 miles on it and my old auto shop has a 240 with this engine in it, so I'm doing a little reasearch on it and seeing if its worth the headache of getting it running, so far it seems doable... thanks guys