HybridZ

Welding

Hey guys, after some advice on engine mounts,

Im in the process of constructing new engine mounts & gearbox crossmember for my Zed, I am putting a 2jzge into my 260z,

Just wondering how thick steel should i go for stuff like engine mounts & gearbox crossmembers? like 5mm thick?

The stock L6 engine mounts look like they are about 2mm thick (really thin) but im guessing because of the extra HP and Torque it would probably be a good idea to go as thick as possible?

As Jamie said, designing a proper structure is more important then material thickness. A mount that's just a flat strip or plate of steel behaves like a spring. To reduce that behavior you have to significantly increase its thickness. Adding a rib or sides turns the spring into something structural and reduces the material thickness requirements.

I've built various mounts using .080 mild steel plate and .125 6061 aluminum plate. As long as a proper structure is built, you can use thinner material and save weight.

Thanks for the replies guys,

Im going to be installing a 2jz into my Zed, so im going to try and copy the design used buy PhilUK, the bloke with the 1jzgte into his Zed - both blocks appear to have pretty much the same bolt holes so replicating the mount position shouldnt be to much of a drama,

Another question ive got is - What type of Mig Welder should i buy?

I've been looking at all sorts of Mig Welders over the last couple of weeks and have sorta formed an opinion..........

I should buy one that can use either Gas or Gasless wire and because i wont be doing anything other than Engine Mounts/Gearbox Crossmember and exhaust a Mig Welder rated at 135amp-145amp Peak Power should suffice???

What do you guys think?