HybridZ

Fiberglass VS Steel

hat1324

So as Ive torn my fenders off, seen what is salvagable and what is in the "toss" pile Ive gone to replacing pannels..

I had seen a fiberglass front for the Z for sale 30 mins from my location(anything Z related within 500 miles is a miracle) and planed on going to look at them. What I did not see is the "Buy it Now" function and it was bought with 6 days left.

Now ive gone sourcing other fenders..

the questions:

1. What are the weight differnece's between the steel and glass fenders? I know hoods can be heavier if fiberglass.

2. What about flex and paint? I dont want to pain the car and have if bend apart.

3. Ive read about removing the steel will lose support of the frame and cause unwanted flex, although the radiator support will be removed, a new one angled in, the strut bars supported(to eachother and the firewall). Ive got a few different drawings planned for it.

Im wanting to remove as much weight a possible, but right now the motor is coming first..

UPS does not ship Z fenders... too long.... after market fenders can have "fit " problems. I would guess that a steel fender weighs no more than 10 pounds more. I have some fiberglass front fenders and I would be more willing to pack those around than the steel ones. I doubt if there is that much structural strength difference and with modern paints... you should not have any real finish problems.

The steel fenders add little to nothing in terms of stiffness to the unibody and yes, fiberglass can be heavier than the steel parts they replace, but this rarely has been true in the cases that I've witnessed. I'd go fiberglass, but I'm kinda partial to this stuff anyway.