HybridZ

Daily Driver suspension set up

Guest mricke

Guest mricke

Hi, this is my first post. Just bought an 80 280zx this week after years of thinking about it. Problem is, I'm just learning. Structurally the car is sound etc, but the suspension is shot to complete hell. It doesn't do a thing. I know there are lots of kits out there to upgrade what's stock, but it's going to be a couple of years (I need to finish grad school) before I can really get to work on it. So in the meantime, I just want to make it a comfortable and reliable daily driver. So my question is, what type of inexpensive/decent shocks etc. might i find that would do the trick for the next few years? THanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Matt

1980 280zx

Guest mricke

The clutch is also slipping pretty badly above 3grand. I've been reading that I might just need to adjust it, but my gut tells me it needs to be replaced completely. ANy thoughts?

The clutch is also slipping pretty badly above 3grand. I've been reading that I might just need to adjust it, but my gut tells me it needs to be replaced completely. ANy thoughts?

the clutch should be hydraulic and self adjusting. on the up side, it takes just about as long to jack the car up to a sutable height as it does to remove the transmission. :)

--gabe

Guest mricke

Thanks, guess I should have done a bit more homework. I knew the clutch was hydraulic, but didn't totally understand what exactly that meant. An evening later, I'm in better shape. RE the suspension set up, it looks like the stock shocks aren't all that much cheaper than upgrading to something a little better. I'll search around for more ideas.

Matt

KYB makes some decent replacements that aren't too expensive. The ride with them will be very close to stock which is a plus in a daily driver.

You mean the KYB GR-2's, right? Anybody have any review comparison between the KYB GR-2's and the Tokico Blues? (like which is sportier, which is softer, durable, etc.)

I just got the Tokico springs/struts kit from Ebay for $505 +tax (freakin cali)

They also sell them with the basic tokico struts for $350 or so.... this is EXTREMELY cheap.

I didn't see if they sell them for the ZX's... but look on ebay and see what you can find.

If you want to just replace struts, that would be fine, too... but the price will come close to $350, I bet... the same price to get the springs included.

the clutch should be hydraulic and self adjusting. on the up side' date=' it takes just about as long to jack the car up to a sutable height as it does to remove the transmission. :)

--gabe[/quote']

You can adjust the clutch pedal, and as a result the engagement point. There is a threaded rod and locknut under the dash on the clutch pedal. Adjust so that there is ~1" of freeplay in the pedal before the clutch begins to disengage.

go with a the illumina' if you want your ride to be perfect for you, even if you don't adjust them everyday if you buy something w/o adjust you might regret the feel. thats my opinion... plus if you don't like them you can probably sell them for more then you bought them $505 is nothing for 4 illumina's with springs. I'm not sure if they are offered for the 280 thats the only problem :S