HybridZ

Modern Door Dingers

TomoHawk

Has anybody fooled around with the dingers you get in new cars? Like which wire is ground, power, etc, and which wire makes it ding? I'd like to put in a dinger for lights-on reminder, and maybe a dinger is nicer than the oem buzzer.

Maybe a dinger would sound 'out-of-place?'

Also, does anybody have a circuit for a lights-on reminder thing that isn't too complicated? maybe a PC board or kit?

thanks, tired of jumping the battery because I forgot to turn off the lights (again) LOL

I don't have a dinger from newer cars but I do have a buzzer from a 280Z. I can try it and tell you how you can hook it up to the lights or door or whatever you want.. Oh wait I have the talking lady module from the 280ZXs do you want that? lol... It actually says "lights are on"..

BTW, removing the "lights are on" lady module will screw up your stereo because the module is wired through a couple of the speakers. If you pull the module, you need to jumper the connector to get your stereo working right.

I'm looking around for the module I pulled out of the Maxima because my son just started driving and drivers ed makes them turn the headlights on whenever they drive (then they get left on). I'd like to get a module from a JDM car (anyone?) so that he knows he did something (door ajar, lights on, seatbelts, etc) but has to figure out what it is (or learn Japanese). DAW

Daw,

I don't use that module on my ZX any more. I also put in new wires to all the speakers. Do you want to buy this module? I can still hear it talks but very low from the back where the module is. I think it will be neat to wire this module into earlier cars and hear it talks. lol.. What you think Tomahawk?

How about wiring a relay to the switched 12V that cuts off the ground to the headlight switch? (or all of the grounds into the switch)

That way, you need to have ignition power applied for the relay to turn on, and therefore the lights will work.

It's idiot proofed like a modern vehicle.

while i have not done this, i belive the easiest way to do it would be to splice a wire to the hot side of whatever it is you wish to connect to your dinger (in this case the headlights) with a diode (to prevent back feeding to from other ding devices if you were going to have more than one device ding) and run that to the + terminal of the dinger. then run the ground for the dinger through a normally closed relay that is energised by the key switch in the "run" position. basicly this would prevent the dinger from dinging while the car was running (or at least while the switch was in the "run" position) by ungrounding the circuit.

perhaps this will prompt you with a good idea.

gabe

I think this is your idea:

+12v (sidelights)

|

+-+--+

| | Buzzer (12v)

+-+--+

|

+-------|<|-------- To existing drivers interior light switch

| Diode

|

O

----| Drivers door switch

O

|

Car Chassis

for a better diagram:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://www.ee.washington.edu/circuit_archive/circuits/F_ASCII_Schem.html&e=10313

I think another big question to ask would be where to get the things in the first place? You might say the JY, but if you don't know exactly where it is or what it looks like, the JY isn't much good. You're better off going to a dealer's parts counter.

thx

I think this is your idea:

+12v (sidelights)

|

+-+--+

| | Buzzer (12v)

+-+--+

|

+-------|<|-------- To existing drivers interior light switch

| Diode

|

O

----| Drivers door switch

O

|

Car Chassis

not quite.... but i'll try to sketch it here in ascii

Car Chassis

|

+--+

| | Normally closed relay energised when key switch in 'on' position

+--+ (when energised relay is open)

|

|

+--+

| B | Buzzer

+--+

+---|<|-- to wire that is hot when lights are on

| (Diode)

+---|<|---to wire that is hot when other buzz is desired with key 'off'

(Diode)

so, if the key is in the 'on' position (presumably the car is running then) there is no buzzer because the buzzer is not grounded. (in retrospect, you could place the relay at the * and have the same effect, but i decided to make my diagram consistant with my first post) but if the key is not in the 'on' position and the lights are on, it buzzes. (you could also put the door switch at the * and the buzzer would only operate while the door was open and the key was not in the 'on' position) the lowest line is there to show how one could add additional items to the buzzer.

hope this is clearer,

gabe

edit: grrrrrr the board keeps removing the extra spaces i put in to make things clearer. oh well, i'll just work arround that.