HybridZ

Fuel System for EFI (and maybe Turbo cars)

This is a setup i have come across for an in-tank fuel system,

I was wondering, would this setup work with a Zed with an unbaffled fuel tank if you installed a turbo'd engine?

1 - Purchase R31 Skyline Fuel Tank and Fuel Pump Cradle & Ford Mustang Internal Fuel pump (good for about 500hp)

2 - Remove Cradle from R31 fuel tank and mounting bracket from top of fuel tank

3 - Remove the fuel level Sender unit from R31 Fuel Pump Cradle (as it gets in the way - use the Datsun factory original fuel level sender unit)

4 - Get some 3"- 4" OD exhaust tubing off-cut and attach this to the fuel pump cradle (this is the swirl pot) making sure you have a gap at the top and bottom when mounted into the Datsun fuel tank

5 - Attach the "Low fuel level" sender unit from the R31 fuel pump cradle to the outside of the swirl pot (at a level where you want the fuel warning light to come on, ie.........1/4 tank,

6 - Install the Ford Mustang fuel pump into the fuel pump cradle

Now have completed Fuel Cradle assembly ready to be bolted into the Datsun Fuel tank

7 - Cut a hole in the top of the Datsun fuel tank based on the mounting bracket from the R31 Skyline fuel tank, than Install the mounting bracket for the R31 fuel Cradle into the Datsun fuel tank (braze it)

8 - Install the fuel pump cradle setup into the Datsun fuel tank

9 - Connect up the Main & Return fuel lines from the 260z to the "new" in-tank fuel system (may need to use a reducing hose)

10 - Connect up the wires for fuel pump

What do you guys think?

• 4 years later...

Hmmm.. That seems like more work and more expense than fabricating your own fuel cell. Plus, if you are going to go through that much trouble, why use the stock lines?

On a side note, if you have the same setup as i do, (originally an EFI setup) with the supply line and the return line as you mentioned, I have a pretty bulletproof dual regulated setup i use for my v8z. Granted this may not be applicable if you are running EFI, but it works great for my purposes.

Basically I use a 15 psi GM TBI fuel pump in the stock location, and then run a regulator on the supply side. The fuel then exits the regulator via one port, and the rest of the fuel is routed into a second regulator, and back to the tank via the return line. I ran this setup for 4 years, and the car was my daily driver for half of that. It was a method born out of my cheap laziness originally, but i never had a single iota of a pressure drop at the carb... ever.

Hope this helps.

Joe

I've dropped 2 280z fuel tanks, and both were different but similar. Looking at both of them, It has an uniquely shaped tank. I haven't seen a R31 tank before, but I doubt that it will be easy to fit.

I agree, It will most likely be easier if you bought/built a fuel cell. And why an internal setup? I find having the pump outside of the tank makes it a WHOLE LOT easier to work on. BTW the stock 280z setup is setup with the pump outside.