HybridZ

300ZX Tranny Swap

Guest CompFX

Guest CompFX

I did some searching here, but did not find much on swapping out an auto for a manual on 88's 300ZX's.

I have already got the 5 spd tranny and everything to boot, I am looking at putting it in this weekend and wondering what kind of headache I should anticipate.

Can anyone offer any tips?

Just incase it helps,

Project car is 9/87 4 seater non turbo.

Doner car is 9/87 2 seater non turbo.

I already know of the drive shaft issue.

My everyday car is a 9/87 2 seater Turbo, so I sort of have a map of what it should look like.

Part list:

5 spd tranny,

clutch,

pressure plate,

throw out bearing,

pilet bearing,

Flywheel,

Slave cylendar

master cylendar

Clutch pedal assembly

Dust shields,

Starter.

I will have the 4 seater drive shaft cut to length.

Anyone know of anything I am missing? Or any tips to aid my conversion?

Much appreciated

CompFX

Guest CompFX

Thanks,

They have a little information about trannies, but not about swapping.

Any other ideas?

Maybe Ill bring my digi cam and make a tut on it.

I have done this a few times before on Bronco II, and trucks, but never a car, and for sure never a import.

CompFX

Guest CompFX

Well I took what little info I had and dove in head first.

Swap is complete. Everything is done, except the drive shaft. Have to take it in tomorrow at noon to take ½" off.

Almost nothing went smooth; but the swap was easy.

Will try to write a tutorial with pics when I get the chance.

Thanks for the help.

CompFX

Guest Jayseal22

I am in the process of doing this and have some questions. What do I do as far as wiring? What do I do as far as net saftey switch?

Guest CompFX

As far as wiring... This one is a bit tricky, but easy. I never bothered hooking up the neutral safty switch on the tranny, or the reverse lights. But you can hook both up rather easliy.

Hanyes manual 72010, Page 180, There is Inhibitor switch diagram. My project car was an 88 non turbo 4 seater, and the diagram was all wrong. I had to do some of my own testing.

The book says

Take the connector that has 8 holes in it. This is the inhibitor wires.

Looking at the 8 holes, number them 1 to 8 starting at the bottom right and going clockwise. The book says to that when #1 and #4 have a jumper wire it is telling the computer that the tranny is in neutral. And when #1 and #3 are jumped, it tells the computer that the tranny is in reverse. But that was not the case with my project car.

I will have to go look again, to tell you what numbers need to be jumped, but above is what the books says.

Again, I didnt bother hooking mine up. I just used a small jumper wire and called it good.

On my manual tranny the revers switch was located right behind the bell housing and the neutral safty switch was on the tail shaft. And the spedo cables were the same.

I will post back with the correct wiring info.

Guest CompFX

I need to know what your donor car was and what your project car is along with the tranny info to help you out more.

I need years, 2 seater or 4 seater, and any other info you can give me.

Guest CompFX

Obviously The guy has not came back yet, but just for when he / you do, here is how to wire the inhibitor wire harness should be done.

If you are pitching the auto tranny, just cut the inhibitor switch wire harness closer to the tranny. Now you have 8 wires and a connector. Point the connector away from you. So you should be looking at the back of the connector; Starting at the bottom left side of the back of the connector, number them 1 to 8 counter clockwise.

Neutral safty switch = #'s 2 & 5 (2=Black/Blue 5= Black/Red)

Reverse Lights = #'s 1 & 3 (1=Red 3= Black/white)

It does not matter which color of wire, but that was the color of my project car. If you want to bypass the safty switch, which i dont recrement, but, all you need to do is touch the wires togather. Use a wire nut, butt connector, or twist and black tape. As long as they are touching, it will start. (a neat little anti thieft device is running them wires inside the firewall, hooking up a (or a set of) toggle switches. The car will not start if the switch(s) are not set.

The reverse lights, touch # 1&3 togather and the reverse lights will come on. It dont matter what color they are, just wire them to the switch on the manual tranny and it will work.

If you need any more info, let me know.

CompFX

• 7 months later...

I am researching which tranny is best to swap into my 87 300zx 2+2.

Haynes says there is 3 different manual tranny's

FS5W71C (ALL YEARS)

FS5R30A (87 AND ON)

or

BW T-5 FS5R90A (TURBOS)

What is the difference in these first 2? if anyone has the link to the write up on swapping it, can you please post it.

Thanks