HybridZ

Startup Debugging - Yes I searched.

Guest Battle Pope

Guest Battle Pope

I recently bought a 1976 280Z from 305240 here on the boards. The main reasons I bought it were the price and condition of the body. It has an incomplete '81ZX engine swap in it. It's incomplete due to some unfortunate circumstances, but that's not the point. It has the engine in it, major wiring is all there, mainly just the belts and fan/shroud aren't installed. It doesn't have coolant in it but that shouldn't hurt it if I'm just trying to fire it.

Turn the key, I can hear the fuel pump kick on. The engine turns over.

It starts with starting fluid, and will idle decently as long as you keep starting fluid going in the intake pipe (only idled for a few seconds - no coolant, remember). After a short stint of cranking, I pulled the plugs. Front (#1?) was swimming, #2, 3 and 4 were wet but progressively drier, 5 and 6 were dry.

I got a FSM for a '75 with the car, but I'm not entirely sure on the similarity between '75 and '76, much less how useful it would be with a ZX engine.

From my observation, the ECU is hooked up, the fuel pump relay is hooked up and working because the fuel pump kicks on and at least one cylinder floods heavily. At least some of the cylinders are getting spark, because it will start with the starting fluid.

I realize that this is kind of vague, but I know almost nothing about the car. I really don't know how much is done and how much is not done. The engine is really kind of useless to me, I just want to see if I can get it running so i can at least move it under it's own power. The engine will be coming out of it in the next few months to make way for a carb'd Ford 460, so I won't be dealing with this EFI mess much longer. Iff anyone has any hunches or insight on what to check, it would be very much appreciated.