HybridZ

Help getting turbo swap started

Hey guys,

Ive been putting a '81 turbo motor in sparks 280z's car. Anyway I got her pretty much wrapped up tonight with the i/c and all the wiring done and tried to give her a start.

After a couple attempts we didnt get anywhere, checked spark -- good, fuel -- good. PLayed with the dizzy timing and finally got her to start up. Started up twice and ran pretty good. Let her sit and now it wont start again. It turns over and doesnt sound like it is doing anything (some smoke comes out of the breather) and then when you stop cranking it will sputter over a couple turns and stop. Acting like its too advanced. Ive tried moving a crank sensor and moving the dizzy nothing is helping.

Also I DID NOT take the dizzy driveshaft out the motor. It ran before i pulled it so this shouldnt be an issue. I did take the dist off but there is only one way to put it on so i know this is right.

Anysuggestions on this?? Could it be wiring?

-Austin

Hey hoke there is a relay, I dont know if you are hearing it click or not, but it is in the fender well on the passenger side, at least on my 82. It is green in color, For the longest time, till I was able to track it down at least to its source I didnt know what was stopping the car from starting but that was it.

I dont know if the 81 harness has that but I would think that part of it is there. Like you I would have fuel, spark but no ignition.

Check that relay to see if it is giving you a problem, it will at least on my car stop it from starting.

I followed the 81 swap sticky which was very good and helpful i dont think the 81 system has the green relay it has a brown one though and it is operational. The car has been started a couple times as in like acccidental playing with it and trying it over an over. When it started it ran good. BUt it wont start now, its something with the timing, i dont think its the comptuer but it could be.

I hate stock wiring lol