HybridZ

Intercooler piping route.

Guest SS-Z31

Guest SS-Z31

Hey guys, I've got a question concerning intercooler efficiency due to different piping routes.

Basically I'm designing some top mount manifolds to run twin turbos on a VG30ET for my Z31...(everything right now is just in the design phase to see what fits and whatnot). I've got the manifold and downpipes somewhat figured out but now I'm trying to figure out how to run the charge pipes to and from the intercooler.

My main concerns deal with any flow difficulties that might be experienced by merging the two intake pipes together BEFORE the intercooler, or just have a twin inlet/single outlet intercooler and have the intake charge combine in the intercooler.

I'm not exactly sure how merging them together would affect anything but it seems like by having the twin inlet intercooler it MIGHT have better cooling efficiency due to the charge being spread somewhat evenly through the IC.

Most likely I'd just use the twin inlet IC and call it a day however that would be lots and lots of piping to run...

I'd like to hear other people's opinion/experiences with this kind of thing.

Thanks! :2thumbs:

If you purchase a good merge collector similar to what's in these two pictures you won't see any flow reductions in the intercooler piping. In fact, you might actually see some improvements in flow if some calculations are done on collector length and cone shape.

325isexhaust.JPG

T2CamaroExhaust.jpg