HybridZ

T5 WC internals into a non-WC case. Will it work?

RacnJsn95

The ZXT T5 I bought and was trying to rebuild, is not a W/C T5. First gear has welded itself to the input shaft, so its trash. I have another W/C T5 from a different car. I've done some measuring, and it seems to look like all the W/C internals will go in the non-W/C ZXT case. Is this possible? I know the splines would be different, but that is always fixable. Thanks guys!

The center gear case from the WC T5 should bolt up to the ZXT bellhousing and tailshaft housings, so that should not be an issue. However, check the diameter of the output shaft on the WC T5 - I don't think it will fit in the ZXT tailshaft housing without some mods.

Also, check the spline of the input shaft and the size/length of the pilot shaft - you'll probably also need a custom clutch and will have to do something about the pilot shaft/bushing, depending on which WC T5 you have.

It's from an 88 Camaro V6. I didn't think it was a WC tranny, but I read today that in 88 GM made all T5's WC. Went and checked it out, and sure as hell it was a WC. The ZXT bellhousing will not bolt to the Camaro T5 case. 1st gear on the ZXt input shaft have welded itself to the shaft, so its trash. That's why I want to try and swap the Camaro internals into the ZXT case. Any other ideas?