HybridZ

Marathon

clint78z

My Zed has taken the back seat to my other passion running. I know there are some runners here and they know what I am talking about what kind of accomplishment this is. I ran a very consistent 3:47 marathon with some hills to boot. I was in the zone and probably could have done a 3:40 if I pushed it a little more. The 2 km's were a little tight in the hamstrings, but ran through it. I have my sites set on Boston in a couple of years !! For those of you that don't know, Boston is the superbowl of running. I am not your typical distance runner weighing in at a lean 190lbs.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clint78z/album?.dir=c869&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Guest zfan

I ran for years but my knee said time to hang it up. Probably take it back up in another 2 yrs when my knee is not so bad anymore. Besides that I needed a break as I had run for 10 plus yrs.

The Marathon is a blast when you get the runners high. I also hit the wall a few times. Best was 3:14 at Dallas White Rock in the 90's. I trained to go 2:50 but always got injured or bad weather blah blah!

I liked shorter distances for the short recovery. Ran 36/37 minutes for 10k and 17/18 minutes for the 5k. It is very addictive so enjoy the high!!!!!!

My Father has run Boston, the Grand Daddy of them all! I think he ran 5 times. He still runs to this day just slower and he's 67. He is always on my butt about taking it back up.

Mike

Come on you guys, we all know the old saying...."If you don't use it you lose it!" Regarding the bad knees....take up cycling (MTN or road). Its way easier on the knees and you still can get the endorphine high. I'll be 54 years young this year, been cycling seriously since the mid 80's, and plan to continue until I can't get on my bike or get stuffed in a box. There are far too many out of shape people in the U.S. today. Lazy and no self control is all I'll say. Besides, I want to be fit enough the crawl into my Z at 90 years young and carve up the canyons. Its good to have great expectations in life.

Awsome times Zfan many people don't realize how fast that is until they try an keep up themselves. Breaking 3 takes some serious talent, sounds like you were close. I was fortunate to run a 10k and see a 29min pass me on the way by. I am fortunate to be a part of a wonderful running community, lot's of cyclists around too. Went for my very first ride in a pack last night, it is quite fun. Several of them were training for Ironman, I didn't get dropped. It's never too late to start anything in life, I plan to be that crazy old bastard racing all the young pups.

Pretty good times for the marathon. My personal best was 3:36 for the Oakland Marathon in the mid 1980's, but nothing ever faster. My desire to run ran out as I went to college and started weight lifting. I have to say I felt (and still feel) much better doing less running and more lifting. I only run now to keep the coronary health up.

Davy